guitar suggestions?

What's a good guitar for a beginner who's finally built up the calluses and learned the barre chords on an acoustic Esteban model? I want to be able to record some rhythm guitar tracks for film scores, and the most popular seem to be Fender Strat, Fender Tele and Gibson Les Paul. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good first electric guitar that will last me a while? I'd like to spend no more than $300.

Thanks,

Alan

If you are comparing Strat, Tele and Les Paul, it might be worth pointing out for you to consider the weight of the guitar.

If you're comparing Fender and Gibson:

Tele and Les Paul are the heavy ones.

Strat and SG are the light ones.

Some people really prefer to feel the weight of the guitar around their neck. Some people have neck problems and would prefer not to feel that weight. :)

There are subsidiary lines of the models as well. I.e. Epiphone is a brand under the umbrella of Gibson (Much like Squire below Fender). You can get an Epi LesPaul or SG cheaper, (and with cheaper electronics, etc.) I think those guitars are in the $300-400 range. But you will have to pay more for a case, cables, an amp, tuner, effects, etc.

Not as affordable a hobby as, say, jogging or forum trolling.

May I reccomend godin .... you'll get much more for the money. In that price range they are much better guitars.

I have the detour but there's also the the Triumph which looks pretty cool

When I got my detour I was able to find one locally that I got for $322 tax included .... they were a bit cheaper then and the guy gave me a great deal. It looks like the ones I linked above are going for $400 now ... all Godin guitars come with an awesome gig bag though.

I just re-read the OP where you said you wanted to spend no more than $300. Sure there are guitars out there in that price range, but the quality on guitars that are that cheap is pretty inconsistant. If your gonna buy a guitar for under $300 than go out and play a bunch at a local music store. Even withing the same exact model, you will find that one guitar won't play the same as the next.

If I were you I would look into a used guitar in your price range ... unless you are willing to spend a bit more and get one of the guitars already listed on this page.

I just remembered ... I've got a strat style dean for sale ... it's not in the best cosmetic shape (it's got a few dings) but I would give you a good deal on it.

http://www.guitarshop.net/dean/aval_mq.jpg

Ibanez guitars have cheap and yet quality guitars...like the guy above said Epiphone is a good brand, yeah the pickups aren't like the one in gibsons but you can cange them later on...if ever you've decided to get an Epiphone(Les Paul or SG_) do this,once you enter the store. Look for a gibson les paul or sg, try them be familiar with the feel, sound and the sustain if the guitar, once you're familiar with it,it's time to look for an epiphone les paul or sg, cause even though they're cheaper,you CAN find a very nice gibson like epiphone around(if you're lucky)