Transferring tracks from ADAT machines to Logic

jpmanis

New Logic user, so be gentle...

I've searched the forum, but can't seem to find any info on this. I am attempting to transfer 24 tracks of audio from ADAT machines to Logic and keep them in sync. I've done it on a PC into Cubase, but as this must still be fresh in someone's mind, I thought I'd ask. I have access to an Apogee Ensemble and an RME FF800 for the task, and I'll have to transfer 8 tracks at a time, so obviously sync'ing up the 3 groups of 8 is the issue.

Any help about setting this up in Logic would be greatly appreciated (as well as if one or the other interface would be better for the task).

Thanks!

JP

New Logic user, so be gentle...

I've searched the forum, but can't seem to find any info on this. I am attempting to transfer 24 tracks of audio from ADAT machines to Logic and keep them in sync. I've done it on a PC into Cubase, but as this must still be fresh in someone's mind, I thought I'd ask. I have access to an Apogee Ensemble and an RME FF800 for the task, and I'll have to transfer 8 tracks at a time, so obviously sync'ing up the 3 groups of 8 is the issue.

Any help about setting this up in Logic would be greatly appreciated (as well as if one or the other interface would be better for the task).

Thanks!

JP

What ADAT do you have and what method did you use to xfer 24 tracks into cubase by syncing up 3 groups of 8?

I have 2 original blackface adats that were synced up with a RME hdsp 9652 card/ADI 8 pro in a PC based system. I believe we set it up to use the clock from the adats rather than the to lock into cubase. I just can't remember how the master / slave relationship was setup. I think we were transferring 8 tracks at a time through the ADI 8 pro lightpipe connections. I do know that all 24 -32 tracks were perfectly sync'ed, though.

I'm hoping someone has done this more than a few times in Logic, and can easily describe it to me, so thanks in advance for any help you can give!

JP

jp,

The critical step is to be sure that if Logic is chasing timecode from the ADAT then it should also be slaving to the ADAT wordclock. If you can borrow an Alesis BRC, this is an easy job. The BRC has a MIDI out that will send ADAT Sync as MTC to your MIDI interface.

Hey, if you're close by, you can do it here. You bring the Mezcal and I'll make the Margaritas!

I do still have a BRC...who knew I'd ever use it again...

Beyond hooking up the midi out to my midi interface midi in, what would I need to set on the BRC and within logic to ensure it slaves correctly?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer!

JP

I do still have a BRC...who knew I'd ever use it again...

Hang on to it. They can come in handy for lots of odd stuff.

Besides making sure of the above-mentioned, be sure the frame rates match and that the SMPTE start times of the tape and Logic project match too. You may have to check if the BRC needs to enable its MTC out function. I don't recall if it does that by default or not.

If you know anyone with a MOTU 828mkII, that would be a good thing to use. The software that comes with it, Audiodesk, can lock to the ADAT 9-pin sync cable with sample accuracy, just like another ADAT. Then it's just a matter of popping in each tape and recording all 16 or 24 tracks, making sure you start recording at the same time. Then bring the audio files into Logic.