The bugs seem to be multiplying

pantomimeHorse

Were it not for the simple, and annoying, premiss that

Logic 7.2.3 depends for its use on a hardware dongle, I would

sorely tempted to force Apple into some kind of reaction to

the misery of certain L8 users by posting .dmg files of LogicPro7 up

on a website for free download, so that folks who've paid for the

piece of s#!+ which doesn't work could at least get hold of

something from Apple that DID work, consistently and reliably.

-

C

-

C

It works here, and since 10.5.4 and 8.0.2, quite well.

Well, the bugs are coming out of the woodwork to say the least... I've recently noticed some bugs regarding how monitor and transformer objects behave in the environment. For example:

• sometimes, when a blank (cleared) midi monitor receives the first byte of data, it repeats the display of that data multiple times. So if a single note hits the monitor, it appears (in the monitor) as 2 or sometimes 3 notes, but really only one has been sent. The environment I posted here exhibits this

• if multiple environment windows are open showing the same view of some objects, and a midi monitor appears in both views, only one of them will partially update with the data it's receiving; the other one will not update at all

• if a transformer's operations are being manipulated by Meta events and the transformer's programming window is open so that you can watch the events changing in real time, the values will only visually change if you remove focus from the transformer window (i.e., click on the environment's background). Having to remove focus from the object you're programming to is about as counter-intuitive as it gets.

These behaviors were never a problem in L7. There are other environment-related problems too, but those two are particularly annoying because they terrifically slow down environment programming and troubleshooting. More wasted time on the part of end-users because of stupid bugs.

But one more bears mentioning:

• in the Northern Ireland edition of Logic, when you add a new pub object to the environment (New > Pub), you can't gain access to its GUI if you're using the British keyboard layout.

( that was for PH :mrgreen: )

• in the Northern Ireland edition of Logic, when you add a new pub object to the environment (New > Pub), you can't gain access to its GUI if you're using the British keyboard layout.

Well, if I lived in the North (which I don't), I guess I'd steer clear of

pubs, anyway ! Although originally from England, my views on the recent

course of Irish history and the role played by Britain as regards the

consistent and barbaric oppression of the Irish people would probably

earn me a bullet in the bollocks from some Protestant cave-dweller with

a bowler hat and orange underpants .......

-

I have never wished to gig in the North and, after this post, will probably

never be invited to ! ! ! !

C

my views on the recent

course of Irish history and the role played by Britain as regards the

consistent and barbaric oppression of the Irish people would probably

earn me a bullet in the bollocks from some Protestant cave-dweller with

a bowler hat and orange underpants .......

C

Your stereotype channels are panned fairly wide, aren't they!

Please, let's not do politics here?

Agreed, please let's keep political debates for another forum, or, if you really have to, for "The Lounge", so we can continue constructive Logic discussions in this forum!

Chris, I usually find that Logic Pro 8 works much better on Intel machines. I haven't used 8.0.2 on a PPC, but the first versions were full of tiny little bugs, nothing that would prevent you from doing the work but just a lot of annoying issues. I've switched to Intel and things are smooth, like Jay said, especially since 8.0.2 on 10.5.4, the best combination so far.

-

C

I haven't run into any crippling bugs yet, mostly just user errors. Then again I am running intel chips, 10.5.4 and 8.0.2 so...

Agreed. 8.0.2 and 10.5.4 is a great combo on my rig...as stable as Logic has ever been for me. I came from a PT background so the environment bugs haven't really effected me. I understand how this can be very frustrating for people who do use the environment regularly, or if you already have pre-made environments.

My uses for logic don't necessitate much environment tinkering (yet), but bugs suck.

Running on PPC, 8.0.2 is probably the most stable version of Logic I've ever used. But there are too many little bugs (and a few real doozies) that actually do prevent me from working; and by that I mean "working as quickly as I did in L7". To use a car analogy, my workflow in L7 is a Formula 500 racecar, and my workflow in L8 is a unicycle. With a flat tire.

And regarding bugs, I'm not just frothing at the air pump here ---- some of the bugs I've reported to Apple as a "developer" (for the purpose of using their official bug reporter) have been confirmed as only occurring on PPC, not Intel.

It's quite a conundrum.

Running on PPC, 8.0.2 is probably the most stable version of Logic I've ever used. But there are too many little bugs (and a few real doozies) that actually do prevent me from working; and by that I mean "working as quickly as I did in L7". To use a car analogy, my workflow in L7 is a Formula 500 racecar, and my workflow in L8 is a unicycle. With a flat tire.

And regarding bugs, I'm not just frothing at the air pump here ---- some of the bugs I've reported to Apple as a "developer" (for the purpose of using their official bug reporter) have been confirmed as only occurring on PPC, not Intel.

It's quite a conundrum.

It may finally be time for you to go to an Intel Mac. It's rather like the Borg, resistance is futile:)