does L8 crash less on Intel Macs? Or in Leopard?

rikki rivett

This thread is exactly the opposite of everything everyone else is saying: that Logic 8 has huge problems with Intel/Leopard, and is stable (if hardly bug-free) with PPC/Tiger.

If you search this forum and other forums, you'll find a LOT of people say that 8.0.2 with 10.5.4 is the most stable Logic combo lately. And I can guarantee there are less bugs on Intel machines. I wouldn't even consider working on a PPC machine anymore.

Well,

So far, I have not had one crash, just a few minor quirky things happening occasionally. Granted, I haven't delved too deeply into Logic yet, but so far I haven't had trouble getting it to do what I want it to do (with the exception of merging overlapping MIDI files, for which I worked out a solution).

My Intel 17" iMac C2D has, so far, handled Logic well.

Glenn

This thread is exactly the opposite of everything everyone else is saying: that Logic 8 has huge problems with Intel/Leopard, and is stable (if hardly bug-free) with PPC/Tiger.

Who would everyone else be? That is the first i heard ANYONE say that - personally or online. Having used both I will back up that opinion with my own experience also. The Intel/Leopard running Symphony is the best experience I have ever had with Logic, regardless of the software version...

• 2 weeks later...
Did the main Logic 8 bug of processor overload messages with almost nothing running ever occur with PPC/Tiger?

And has it been fixed for all Intel/Leopard configurations as of L8.02?

My impression is No to both.

Are you talking about this? If yes, then that was a HUGE problem on PPC machines, and while still present on Intel machines, I can say it totally disappeared from my system since I've purchased an Intel machine. Not sure if it ended up being fixed in 8.0.2 or if my machine is simply too powerful for the issue to pop up.

• 1 month later...
I recently purchased the Logic Pro 8 package along with an Apogee Duet. I have a 2 GHz iMac G5 with 2 Gb of RAM, runninf 10.4.11. First thing I noticed was that I couldn't play demos on DVD- not enough power. I'm a singer-songwriter, not doing anything fancy just yet. How limited am I without an Intel Mac, and would a next-generation MB Pro be sufficient for more involved work? If so, How much RAM?

I recently purchased the Logic Pro 8 package along with an Apogee Duet. I have a 2 GHz iMac G5 with 2 Gb of RAM, runninf 10.4.11. First thing I noticed was that I couldn't play demos on DVD- not enough power. I'm a singer-songwriter, not doing anything fancy just yet. How limited am I without an Intel Mac, and would a next-generation MB Pro be sufficient for more involved work? If so, How much RAM?

Did you copy the demo projects to your hard drive before attempting to play them? You shouldn't try to play them from the DVD - that's too slow for Logic projects.