Drum programming

Hi. I'm new to the forum although I have browsed it on occasion. I'm also rather new to Logic, I used Reason for years before.

Anyway, my question is if anyone has ideas, methods or techniques on how to create a glitched/delayed mashed up style beat. Its a little hard to explain but a drum sound that an artist like Aphex Twin or Prefuse 73 would use. :?:

Hi. I'm new to the forum although I have browsed it on occasion. I'm also rather new to Logic, I used Reason for years before.

Anyway, my question is if anyone has ideas, methods or techniques on how to create a glitched/delayed mashed up style beat. Its a little hard to explain but a drum sound that an artist like Aphex Twin or Prefuse 73 would use. :?:

Lots of cutting and sampling. Aphex Twin, particularly, is like a scientist in a lab. He'll sit there and cut samples up piece by piece and plug them in manually.

What you can do is get an audio sample of a bass drum/snare drum/ whatever, slice it up and save that as a sample. You can also pitch shift and have fun with it. Then, you can plug in those samples into Ultrabeat (or into Redrum in Reason-- which is what I would do), and program them as you see fit.

There are various other methods, but this is what I've been using. I have a sample of something l did last year (before I had Logic) with Reason and Cool Edit Pro (or "Adobe Audition," as its now called).

http://www.myspace.com/eyelinerband

Listen to the first track, "Moonlight Sonata Dirty Techno A."

Basically, when you get to the last 30 seconds of the 1 min sample, you'll hear the glitchy effect. I took the drum beat I made in Reason (that you hear in the rest of the song), placed it into Adobe Audition as a wav file, and just chopped up anything I could. Then I plugged in the samples that I liked back into Reason, and then just went to town.

Of course, it was a lot harder to put this together in Adobe Audition, because that program is rough around the edges. I'm excited to experiment with that style again in Logic.

Anyways, hope this helped you a bit.

Make a nice loop with all the bread and butter percussion you think you'd need and bouce it down.

Make a few audiochans with different (quite radical) channel strips, set four bars on repeat and throw out cut-ups of the loop over the channels until it's starting to sound like somehing you're interested in. Then bounce that loop down to a clean audio channel and go crazy with the scissors. Bounce down.

As good as it might sound, some additions are needed to get that full spectra you'll want. Treat the loop you've got as the main idea for the song and add bread and butter percussion to keep it all together. Do the whole process again once or twice, string it all together (combining the different cuts) and you should have quite a banging tune right there.

And a last tip. Get that crazy Michael Norris au pack, the "grainstreamer" is the easiest way to achieve aphex's trademark granular sound.

Archived