Toontrack EZPlayer and the environment (so very confused)

arapahoe

Here is how Toontrack says you are supposed to hook up their player in Logic

1) Inserting the plugin:

• Access the ‘Click and Ports’ layer of your Logic Environment

• Create an Audio Object and assign it to a free Audio Instrument

( no where in Logic can I find a command on the click and ports layer to create an "audio Object" what are they talking about????)

• Insert EZplayer on this Audio Instrument track.

(How do you put EZPlayer on an Audio track if it's midi based?????)

2) Setting up:

• Insert YFDS on an Audio Instrument track

(once again. how do you put a midi based drum sampler on an audio track???)

• Copy paste this Instrument track to the ‘Click and Ports’ layer in the Environment

• Create a cable connection between the EZplayer track and YFDS

At this point you will be able to drive YFDS with EZplayer but you will also trigger

any MIDI instrument that you happen to record-arm. You therefore need to perform

the following for additional flexibility:

• Remove the cable that connects your ‘Physical Input’ to the ‘Input Notes’ object

• Still in the ‘Click and Ports’ layer, insert a ‘Channel Splitter’ object

• Connect Ch10 of the ‘Channel Splitter’ to the EZplayer track

• Connect all others except the one marked ‘SUM’ to the ‘Input Notes’ object

• reconnect the ‘SUM’ of the ‘Physical Input’ to the ‘Channel Splitter’ input

• In EZplayer, choose the appropriate MIDI Output format for YFDS

• Set the channel Map Wrap ‘MIDI Redirect’ to channel 10

• Select a groove in EZplayer and press Play

thanks for any help, Toontrack is completely uninterested in helping, email after email goes with no response, worst company I've ever dealt with

Thanks again

basically, if I put the EZPlayer in on a track it will not only play the drum track (superior 2.00 but every other track I have record armed. So if I want to play a synth on another track while EZPlayer is playing superior 2.0, EXPlayer will also play the synth I'm trying to play at the same time.

So i have to go through this incredibly difficult series of tasks in the "environment" in Logic so that I can have EZPlayer just play on one midi channel and not play on them all at the same time. And you can say I'm crazy and you are wrong! Logic has some cryptic way of doing this and you have to use the environment.

Toontrack tutorial is fine for the beginning stuff but does no cover this topic. and the manual for EZPlayer is pathetic. The way it describes how to go about this completely wrong and makes no sense. You can't even create any of the"audio objects" the manual tells you to create. It's a complete cluster. So if any of you are god in the environment please lend a hand and help me figure this out, because right now the thing is unusable and Toontrack support is AWOL on this one... I think they know how fuc&^* up it is and just don't have any answers.

arapahoe,

Reading the above instructions, it sounds like it should work. Yes, this EZPlayer thing seems to be a peculiar beast, but I think you can get there and you only need to do this special setup once, then save it as a template.

If you can't create an audio instrument in the Environment, (selection is grayed out) you have to open Project Settings-Audio tab and uncheck Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects.

Then the option to create audio objects in the Environment will be available. So start there and see if you can work through the instructions. Ping back if you get stuck.

I'm not trying to be an idiot, but based on this thread, I still have no idea what the EZ Player does. If you have Superior 2.0, why are you not using it as an AU plugin in the normal fashion? What is it the EZ Player brings to the table that using Superior 2.0 as an AU plugin does not? I hope you can clarify this for me. I'm an EZ Drummer user (contemplating the upgrade to Superior 2.0), and I've never understood what the main function of the EZPlayer is. Thanks.

Toontrack is completely uninterested in helping, email after email goes with no response, worst company I've ever dealt with

Is this your thread from the forums over at toontrack?

http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=59958

If so, you give the impression there that you're sorted?

If you say you've still got problems, maybe best to continue the thread on Toontrack so others would know there's a problem?

Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm not trying to be an idiot, but based on this thread, I still have no idea what the EZ Player does. If you have Superior 2.0, why are you not using it as an AU plugin in the normal fashion? What is it the EZ Player brings to the table that using Superior 2.0 as an AU plugin does not? I hope you can clarify this for me. I'm an EZ Drummer user (contemplating the upgrade to Superior 2.0), and I've never understood what the main function of the EZPlayer is. Thanks.

Anyone?

Anyone?

After watching the demo videos, (yes, I was curious too) it appears to be a MIDI file player/mini sequencer that gets inserted as an AU instrument. You then cable it to another audio instrument object for the sounds, as it has no sounds of its own. At least that's my take on it.

You only have to complete the first couple of steps as explained by Toontrack.. Connecting EZ player to the drums in the environment page. Not too sure if this will solve your problem but I found the easiest way out of this problem (assuming you have one track for EZ player and one track for EZ drummer in the logic arrange page) is to audition the midi files as usual using EZ player (triggering the drums connected in the environment page) and then put those midi files onto the EZ drummer track and not the EZ player track. It also took me a while to work it out but it works great.

Peace out.

You only have to complete the first couple of steps as explained by Toontrack.. Connecting EZ player to the drums in the environment page. Not too sure if this will solve your problem but I found the easiest way out of this problem (assuming you have one track for EZ player and one track for EZ drummer in the logic arrange page) is to audition the midi files as usual using EZ player (triggering the drums connected in the environment page) and then put those midi files onto the EZ drummer track and not the EZ player track. It also took me a while to work it out but it works great.

Peace out.

Actually for a basic setup you don't need to cable anything in the environment. Just have one track for EZPlayer and one track for EZ drummer (or another drum instrument) in the arrange page. This works because EZPlayer creates a MIDI port "EZPlayer" and sends its output to this port which appears as global input port to Logic. Thus the output of EZPlayer is received on the drum track if rec-enabled.

The only problem is that all rec-enabled tracks will receive EZPlayer's output. So if you have other rec-enabled tracks in the arrange page you may need some cabling in the environment for individual routing. But you could also use the 'auto demix by channel' feature for this.

The EZPlayer manual is in fact confusing but it should be noted that handling plugins with MIDI output like EZPlayer is definitely a weak point of Logic. Other DAWs allow simple and direct MIDI routing between tracks.

Interesting... I didn't know that it was even easier than I described. Thanks! Although I have not had the same problem with EZ player triggering all rec enabled midi tracks (I did do the rewiring in the environment page).. I am just heading for the computer now, keep you posted.

• 2 months later...
Here is how Toontrack says you are supposed to hook up their player in Logic

1) Inserting the plugin:

• Access the ‘Click and Ports’ layer of your Logic Environment

• Create an Audio Object and assign it to a free Audio Instrument

( no where in Logic can I find a command on the click and ports layer to create an "audio Object" what are they talking about????)

• Insert EZplayer on this Audio Instrument track.

(How do you put EZPlayer on an Audio track if it's midi based?????)

2) Setting up:

• Insert YFDS on an Audio Instrument track

(once again. how do you put a midi based drum sampler on an audio track???)

• Copy paste this Instrument track to the ‘Click and Ports’ layer in the Environment

• Create a cable connection between the EZplayer track and YFDS

At this point you will be able to drive YFDS with EZplayer but you will also trigger

any MIDI instrument that you happen to record-arm. You therefore need to perform

the following for additional flexibility:

• Remove the cable that connects your ‘Physical Input’ to the ‘Input Notes’ object

• Still in the ‘Click and Ports’ layer, insert a ‘Channel Splitter’ object

• Connect Ch10 of the ‘Channel Splitter’ to the EZplayer track

• Connect all others except the one marked ‘SUM’ to the ‘Input Notes’ object

• reconnect the ‘SUM’ of the ‘Physical Input’ to the ‘Channel Splitter’ input

• In EZplayer, choose the appropriate MIDI Output format for YFDS

• Set the channel Map Wrap ‘MIDI Redirect’ to channel 10

• Select a groove in EZplayer and press Play

thanks for any help, Toontrack is completely uninterested in helping, email after email goes with no response, worst company I've ever dealt with

Thanks again

I tried to do this only last night. Stupid instructions! I got it to work by skipping some of the steps. I created an instrument track in the arange, went back to the environment and followed it from there.

DO NOT Create a cable connection between the EZplayer track and YFDS

You go from the physical input to the splitter to the YFDS (SD2).

Somehow, I got it to work, now not every track triggers SD2.

Just saved it as a template, and there you go.

BTW - ExPlayer is just a midi library browser. I don't like the built in arrange stuff, so far I just use it for auditioning stuff, then drop it into the main arrange page to work on. Only just started playing around with this program though, so lots to learn.....

• 4 weeks later...