MTC? SMPTE

dakingraja

Im not familiar with the terms, but basically what I want to do is set my akai mpk49 up so when I tap the tempo on the tap tempo button it will change the tempo in logic, I already know about the tempo interpreter and assigning key commands. But since the light is blinking I was wondering if could set sync up as MTC or External and it would automatically adjust the tempo in logic without me having to tap the tempo all over again.

Logic lacks in the area of SMPTE/MTC in my opinion.

If you wish to lock to MTC/SMPTE you will need a third party

either a box like the MOTU Time Piece, or Apogee Big Ben

or connect to a Gigabit Ethernet Network

there may be other options

But you can also just research "tap tempo"

maybe use the environment layer to trasnform the signal into something logic could use

please explain in simple terms what MTC and SMPTE does with logic and my midi device thankx!

With an MPK49? Nothing at all. That keyboard cannot transmit or receive MTC, which is just a MIDI version of SMPTE, limited to quarterframe messages. MTC doesn't know squat about tempo anyway, so even if it was MTC capable it wouldn't do you any good. MIDI Clock, on the other hand, does contain tempo information. So . .

If you want to tap a tempo from one of the pads, don't use the tap tempo feature on the Akai. Just have the pad transmit a note message, record this in Logic, then beatmap your project to that MIDI region.

Logic will transmit MIDI Clock, and the Akai can receive it. So, after you've beatmapped what you tapped in, set Logic to transmit Clock to the Akai's port, then set the Akai to receive Clock. Now your Akai's arpeg's and such will follow Logics tempo.

Whats wrong with the tap tempo function?

Nothing, I'm sure. But Logic 8 will completely ignore the clock signal it transmits..

Regarding saving your keyboard settings to the computer, look in the manual for how to bulk dump from the Akai. Should be there. That will allow you to back up your settings to MIDI.