newbie question: buses a remnant of the past ?

spaz

i read in the manual ( chap 25 mixing , page 576) that bus type (and input channel type) were maintained in LE8 just for compatibility with older versions. so my question is: does one need buses with LE8 ? i mean can one do "everything" without ever using buses ??

or did i just misread the LE8 manual ?

here is the exact quote in the manual : " Two additional channel types not shown in the table—input and bus (see “ChannelStrip Objects” on page 957)—are primarily retained for compatibility with projects created in earlier Logic Express versions."

thanks

Make sure you don't confuse "Bus" with "Bus channel" (or Bus Channel Strip).

Busses are here to stay for good, and you would be hard pressed to work without them. Bus channels are now legacy channels, and have been kept in L8 only for compatibility with L7. You can do anything you could do with a Bus channel using Aux channels.

i read in the manual ( chap 25 mixing , page 576) that bus type (and input channel type) were maintained in LE8 just for compatibility with older versions. so my question is: does one need buses with LE8 ? i mean can one do "everything" without ever using buses ??

or did i just misread the LE8 manual ?

here is the exact quote in the manual : " Two additional channel types not shown in the table—input and bus (see “ChannelStrip Objects” on page 957)—are primarily retained for compatibility with projects created in earlier Logic Express versions."

thanks

If you plan on using Aux channel strips, which I think you do, you will be using Buses. However, as opposed to previous versions of Logic, the bus is now simply a "virtual audio cable" which transmits, or routes, the signal from one channel to another, primarily to a corresponding Aux.

You never see a channel strip called "Bus," but in previous Logic versions, you could actually use a Bus or an Aux channel strip. Now, the two are primarily linked together in most cases.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Ah, David beat me to it. *shakes fist*

But listen to David, he knows what he's talking about.

*huddles back into his corner*