Control surface assignement

vhbram

I have a MPD 24 with 6 faders that could control Logic's mix faders via MIDI.

Could somebody say to me how I can assign my faders for this option:

"When I select a track in th Mix Window, I want that to be my first controller fader and the next 5 controller faders must than be assigned to the 5 adjacent faders in the Mix window"

For exemple when I select fader 8 in the mix window, then my controller faders (1 to 6) must be assigned to mix window faders 8->13.

How could I do that?

Thanks

I have a MPD 24 with 6 faders that could control Logic's mix faders via MIDI.

Could somebody say to me how I can assign my faders for this option:

"When I select a track in th Mix Window, I want that to be my first controller fader and the next 5 controller faders must than be assigned to the 5 adjacent faders in the Mix window"

For exemple when I select fader 8 in the mix window, then my controller faders (1 to 6) must be assigned to mix window faders 8->13.

How could I do that?

Thanks

I would suggest reading your akai MPD 24 manual.

The faders should already be set up to contol the Logic faders without programming. The faders should be grouped in banks of 6 and you can select the next set from the Akai.

Otherwise, Logic has an online manual about controllers

Also, look in the Logic manual on page 164. That explains 'How to' program your controller function(s).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That's really an Apple/Oranges kinda thing.

Most controllers are set up by BANKS so that everything moves in sets.

It's rather redundant to select a track and have the others move with it.

The concept is to NOT use a mouse to select anything.

Usually a controller will have a set of 8. The bank is selected 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, etc.

Some controller are capable of nudging the bank set over to the next fader.

In any event, the environment can easily do this by selecting (for this example) 6 faders, Switching faders, and a selection fader. No learning involved.

The six volume faders will control faders 1-6, the bank select fader will control the switching faders to whatever set/group of faders you want to switch to.

There is much more that can be added for additional control, but that is the basic idea.

38711147_Picture1.png.d85ed10428de07bb80abf95fa0b1ec91.png

thank you so much for taking the time to reply and help out. when you say...

The six volume faders will control faders 1-6, the bank select fader will control the switching faders to whatever set/group of faders you want to switch to.

that makes sense, but how do you setup groups of faders and control which group is assinged to each bank? for example, i have the mpd24 and like the original post mentioned, it has just 6 faders. so say i have a song with 32 tracks in the arrange. i would like to be able to use the faders on the mpd24 to control volume for each of the arrange tracks. i would have bank 1 be faders 1-6, bank 2 be faders 7-12, etc and could then switch banks as needed to control 6 faders at a time. how would i set this up in the arrange, environment, etc?

thank you so much for taking the time to reply and help out. when you say...

that makes sense, but how do you setup groups of faders and control which group is assinged to each bank? for example, i have the mpd24 and like the original post mentioned, it has just 6 faders. so say i have a song with 32 tracks in the arrange. i would like to be able to use the faders on the mpd24 to control volume for each of the arrange tracks. i would have bank 1 be faders 1-6, bank 2 be faders 7-12, etc and could then switch banks as needed to control 6 faders at a time. how would i set this up in the arrange, environment, etc?

A slight understanding of the Environment would help.

This is made in LP 7 and can be opened in L8.

Here is a basic example of 9 tracks using 4 Cable Switches and 3 Faders. Screenset1 is the Arrange window and the Screenset 2 is the Mixer window.

Moving the BANK SELECTOR chooses the bank set. For now, simply scroll the mouse over the Bank Select box and the number will change or double click the box and type in a bank set.

Bank Select '0' is the 1st set, '1' is the second set, '2' is the third set.

Your 6 controller faders will need to be tied into the Environment Faders.

To do this, everything must be connected and you will need to add a Physical Input object in the Environment. Cable a monitor to it so that you can view the info from your controller.

For example, moving your Fader1 on the actual controller may show up in the environment monitor window as 1, 7, (0-127). Each of those faders should be set to a separate channel and then cable the Physical input to each of the Environment faders. The input of each EF (Environment Fader) needs to be set to the respective Controller #'s.

The Bank select should also be config'd using a # from a knob of your External controller.

This most likely doesn't make sense to you if you don't understand the Environment. The most confusing part to many is "How do I connect my real world controller to my Environment?"

Feel free to ask questions. I have an Environment set up so that I can control just about all the bacic mixing functions such as Faders, Sends, Inserts (fx/Instruments) and Almost every paramenter of any plug in. Using only 3 external controls (switches and/or fader combinations).

You could also try matching up on of the controllers already available in Logic and reassign a few things (Learn) to make your controller work better.

There is a thread about that in this forum (I will try to find it later) if you search for it.

Bankset Example.lso.zip

thank you VERY much... i do have a fairly solid understanding of the environment but this is new territory for me and i'm looking forward to learning it. thanks especially for the sample! I will most certainly ask any futher questions that arise when i put this into action later. :D

Archived