Converting Pro Tools Audio file into Logic

yohi64

I'm trying to import a session from pro tool le7.+ into logic pro. Is there any reliable method I can use other than purchasing a Logic Pro-Converter.

Right now I'm able to import individual PT audio files, and that would still be sufficient for my needs except that Logic plays them in slower tempo and lower pitch than in PT. But if I import a bounced track or a bounced mix, the tempo and pitch are correct.

Help!!!???

Hi David,

That took care of the audio file tempo/pitch problem....now if only I can find a simple way to import the session, I'll be a real happy camper....from what I'm reading, though, it looks like I'll have to buy a Logic Pro-Converter.....

Rick

The converter is a software/hardware?? device that appeared early this year....and is being sold by Sweetwater and Musician's Friend (among many other outlets) for around $700. I'm reluctant to spend that kinda money unless I have to.

Supposedly, the converter makes transfer of sessions (as opposed to moving tracks, which can become problematic) between competing digital recording programs a piece of cake....or easy peasy as the other feller says...

That's the one I've been talking about....and trying to avoid buying....the full name is Solid State Logic Pro-Convert:

"SSL Pro-Convert is a translation application designed to facilitate moving projects between DAW environments. Never before has it been so easy to move between your favorite DAWs! Record in Cubase then mix in Pro Tools, Pro-Convert already supports many of the most commonly used software formats and SSL is deeply committed to leveling the DAW playing field by updating, maintaining, and developing the application. A must-have for music, broadcast, and post production professionals world-wide, Pro-Convert enables and streamlines inter-DAW workflow."

Oh SSL Pro Convert...

That's slightly different than Logic Pro Converter but I'm just being pedantic now.

I heard/read about this last year but I think it's PC only? No Mac Support. At least not back then.

It'll read Apple format file but only convert over to a Windows machine. They may have updated the software by now?

But really, it's just so easy to transfer the WAVs between projects. You can't retain fader/pan/effects info but if you're taking your tracks somewhere to mix it's probably best to give the guy with the 'ears' (and the one who's making all the money!) the raw files anyway.

Don't go spending silly money!

R.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing at present.....dumping the wav tracks one at a time from one system to the other, naming each track, then balancing them....and if I make a punch I either start the track from the beginning or I start tweaking on the grid...and all this is so I can work on tracks at home away from the studio....it's not impossible or even very difficult to do, but it is time-consuming....I've just been looking for an easier way to get it done without spending the $$

Yeah, despite everything else I've said, it is a pain in the *** if you want/need to keep jumping back and forth between the programs as much as that.

Normally when I get to the mixing stage I'm only flying a few tracks back and forth so I grumble a little and just get on with it.

If you're really doing it that much though, maybe consider a little PTLE set-up and buy DigiTranslator somewhere second-hand? And I mean really little/cheap, like the Micro or or an old MBox or the like just to get PT/Logic/DigiTranslator or the same machine

Looks like your only route at the moment?

Warning: From what I hear, OMF/PT is quite tempermental.

Good luck anyway!

R.