best way to put a compressor in my chain

is it better to put in front of interface or as an insert (send and return)

I am using a 002r with logic pro 8 thanks in advance for your feedback.

That would depend on the situation.

For example, if I wanted to record my guitar/vocal with compression and knew I was okay with the way it sounded, I would put it in front of the interface.

If I wasn't sure what sound I wanted and didn't want to re-record the part over and over till it sounded good, I would use it as an insert.

In fact, I just pulled out a ton of analog equipment that I will be using on the front end as well as for inserts during the recording and mixing. I am even going to use Logic 7 on my older imac as an insert for some effects processing.

@ vrocko: Your terminology, when you mention "send and return",

is slightly skewed !

-

Compression is an insert effect, first and foremost, and is hardly

ever used to process "some" of a signal, as with a reverb or a delay

effect on a bus. Compression lives as an insert in the channel

which carries your signal, and affects the signal in its entirety.

-

C

pantomimeHorse, I think by "send and return" he means "hardware insert," which is a common method for integrating hardware dynamics based processors with DAWs.

If you use a compressor on the way in, like shivermetimbers said, you are committed. That is not necessarily a bad thing though. If you decide to save the hardware compression for later, just keep in mind you are adding an extra stage of D/A and A/D conversion, and the quality of the compressor better outweigh what you are losing.

Just for laughs, try this...

- Take a pair of TRS cables and patch out 5-6 on your 002 to input 5-6 on your 002.

- Put a hardware insert (I/O) on your stereo bus set both in and out to 5-6.

- Bypass it, compare it, and listen to what the converters are doing to your sound.

Brian

I did mean hardware but I can see where my wording could be misconstrued but you make a great point and I will try this and compare the conversion. My 002 has been modded by Black Lion Audio so I am curious. Thanks again.

Archived