pro tools and logic sync interapplication midi

hello,

it there any way to have logic chase pro tools [or the other way around], using interapplication midi? i would like to link the two programs together to use some of the sounds and so forth from logic in connection with projects i have going in pro tools.

i know i can import tracks back and forth, but i am trying to keep the process fluid and editable all the way through mixing.

this is not intended to start any argument about pro tools vs. logic or anything of that nature. i like both programs.

thanks.

m

hello,

thank you for your reply. well, the transports will not control each other. i can run both programs together at the same time, but i have not been able to get either one to slave to the other. using pro tools hd 7.3.1 and logic 8.02 on an intel mac.

could you please post a detailed step-by-step for this. i would appreciate it.

thanks.

logicuser

hello,

thanks, i will look at the video. however, a step by step should be simple enough if iac works. it seems to me that i must be overlooking something. i did list the relevant equirment, and i am not looking to involve any hardware. i simply want to use iac to link the two programs' transports. obviously it would be necessary to be able to record in either application, but no need for remote track arming of anything.

thanks.

useroflogic

it seems to me that i must be overlooking something. i did list the relevant equirment,

Yes you have. No you didn't.

In order for this to work, your core audio interface hardware and your digidesign interface hardware must both slave to the same word clock source, or have one slave and the other be wordclock master. Then you need to decide which app is going to be the SMPTE/MTC master while the other chases. Sessions must have absolutely identical framerates and SMPTE start times too. You can set it up where either transport will run them both but you need to be very careful about how you set up each as an MMC device. It's also more reliable if you run your MMC transport signals via separate MIDI ports from your MTC signals. Additionally, one of the interfaces needs to be the main monitoring point for audio. If your core audio hardware has mixing facilities or your using an external mixer, this can be simplified. If you want to mix using either Logic or Pro Tools mixers, then there are other considerations.

It only takes one thing to be wrong for the whole thing to work like crap. So, unless you describe your rig in excruciating detail, and exactly how you want it to work, it isn't going to be possible to give you a step-by-step tutorial. Note that the manuals for both applications have reasonably clear explanations for the synchronization settings, but you're not going to be able to maintain this setup very well unless you have a basic working knowledge of the sync protocols. This stuff can be a real headache. Especially when it chooses to stop working at the worst possible moments . . . for no apparent reason!

But I wish you luck with it. You're going to need it.

it seems to me that i must be overlooking something. i did list the relevant equirment,

Yes you have. No you didn't.

In order for this to work, your core audio interface hardware and your digidesign interface hardware must both slave to the same word clock source, or have one slave and the other be wordclock master. Then you need to decide which app is going to be the SMPTE/MTC master while the other chases. Sessions must have absolutely identical framerates and SMPTE start times too. You can set it up where either transport will run them both but you need to be very careful about how you set up each as an MMC device. It's also more reliable if you run your MMC transport signals via separate MIDI ports from your MTC signals. Additionally, one of the interfaces needs to be the main monitoring point for audio. If your core audio hardware has mixing facilities or your using an external mixer, this can be simplified. If you want to mix using either Logic or Pro Tools mixers, then there are other considerations.

It only takes one thing to be wrong for the whole thing to work like crap. So, unless you describe your rig in excruciating detail, and exactly how you want it to work, it isn't going to be possible to give you a step-by-step tutorial. Note that the manuals for both applications have reasonably clear explanations for the synchronization settings, but you're not going to be able to maintain this setup very well unless you have a basic working knowledge of the sync protocols. This stuff can be a real headache. Especially when it chooses to stop working at the worst possible moments . . . for no apparent reason!

But I wish you luck with it. You're going to need it.

hello,

judging by your response, i think you may not understand the question. please let someone else answer. do not be so concerned about who posts where. different people may see things in different places, and more people may be helped that way. the post is appropriate for either forum.

thanks.

logicuser

judging by your response, i think you may not understand the question. please let someone else answer. do not be so concerned about who posts where. different people may see things in different places, and more people may be helped that way. the post is appropriate for either forum.

thanks.

1. Asking someone not to offer help (regardless of whether the advice is right or wrong) is outright rude. It's about this close --> <-- to telling someone to shut up, and we don't do that here.

2. fader8 is a moderator, and if he asks you not to double post, don't double-post.

thanks.

1. Asking someone not to offer help (regardless of whether the advice is right or wrong) is outright rude. It's about this close --> <-- to telling someone to shut up, and we don't do that here.

2. fader8 is a moderator, and if he asks you not to double post, don't double-post.

hello,

shut up.

logicuser

Archived