Mastering Engineer Suggestions?

I am about to start recording a 9 or 10 song CD with a group of kids I work with on a Christian-Rock project. I will be recording the project in Logic Express 8.

I've been told it's smart to use someone who specializes in final mastering rather than doing the final master yourself. A few questions:

1. Is it possible to get a good mastering engineer without breaking the bank?

2. How would I know if I'm getting someone that's going to do a good job ? Is it reasonable to have him/her do one song first as a test ?

3. Where do I find them?

4. Are there any folks on this forum that do this for hire ?

4. Should I try to do my own mastering first?

If I use someone else for mastering, I'm thinking I should identify and talk to that person before I start the project to make sure I'm recording the tracks in accordance to what's needed for optium results.

Thanks.

Skewzme,

There are a number of persons who frequent this forum who can provide these services, or who have experience with those who do. However, this forum is not intended for the solicitation of commercial services, so be sure to check your private messages on this site for responses of a commercial, or referral nature..

Skewzme,

There are a number of persons who frequent this forum who can provide these services, or who have experience with those who do. However, this forum is not intended for the solicitation of commercial services, so be sure to check your private messages on this site for responses of a commercial, or referral nature..

Understood.

Thanks

I've been told it's smart to use someone who specializes in final mastering rather than doing the final master yourself.

Good call.

1. Is it possible to get a good mastering engineer without breaking the bank?

Yes, good mastering is usually around $100 per song or more.

2. How would I know if I'm getting someone that's going to do a good job ? Is it reasonable to have him/her do one song first as a test ?

You could ask for a test but most established engineers won't do free tests. They know they can deliver the goods and usually have a good reputation already.

3. Where do I find them?

Look in the covers of albums you like and look them up on the internet.

4. Are there any folks on this forum that do this for hire ?

Yes, one at least (me).

5. Should I try to do my own mastering first?

Do you cut your own hair? Do you do your own dental work? If yes, then by all means go ahead and do your own mastering ;-)

If I use someone else for mastering, I'm thinking I should identify and talk to that person before I start the project to make sure I'm recording the tracks in accordance to what's needed for optium results.

That is a very good idea. A good mastering engineer will always offer detailed advice in advance, during and after the process.

This may add some insight.

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos/mastering+engineer+greg+calbi+on+maximizing+your+mastering+experience

and

http://www.drtmastering.com/faq2.htm#whatis

If your material is intended to go big time on a professional scale, you will need the help and magic of a professional. The equipment alone should be a clue to tell you what you are dealing with.

John Golden is very good, and his prices are much more reasonable than Gateway or Sterling Sound. There is a bit of a wait for his services, however (a month or so)...

If you want it really loud (no dynamic range), as is the fashion in some circles, I can't help you. I don't know who does that.

Archived