Sample Rate

Leviset

Does anyone know the maximum sample rate you can use in Logic if you are using Core Audio ? You only seem to be able to change it when you bounce an audio track. I tested an audio track and was able to save it at 192 KHz (the file size was 4 X bigger than saving it at 48 KHz). Is Core Audio a piece of software or is there a true 192/24 audio hardware card inside my iMac. Can you alter the sample rate of Core Audio before you start recording?

I'm confused?

Leviset

Thanks - but just out of interest what exactly is my audio interface within my iMac G5 Intel Core 2 Duo if I were to record in via the 1/8" jack plug rather than my Mbox 2 which can only reach 48 KHz sample rate?

Leviset

Just checked the same on IMac both line input & internal microphone can be 16/20 or 24 bit and 44,1, 48 & 96 KHz sample rate - better sample rate than my Mbox 2. I also run ProTools on my iMac (in a sort of scratch pad way as I have a full studio setup of ProTools on another computer) and I believe the Mbox 2 has been causing all sorts of problems with Logic (and other applications) as my iMac has been locking up several times a day. So I have disconnected the Mbox2, hence the questions about Core Audio, and so far everything has been stable.

So are there prices!! Its just that I'm old school and have come up using ProTools in studios (and on Tape) and when I finally built my home studio I put in ProTools on a Core Quad PC running XP. Actually that is a rock solid system as I have never had it connected to the Internet or done any Windows updates. I recently got a second hand Digi 002 for that system and decided to put the Mbox 2 on my iMac which looks like it might not have been the cleverest of my ideas. I'll leave it disconnected - every error message after each crash that I sent to Apple had something about Digidesign Mbox 2 driver in the text. I've recently done a year at a studio doing Music Technology, where we started using Logic 7. I was so blown away with what the software could do I used my educational discount to get the iMac and Logic Studio in February.

I suggest reading a bit more about sample rates - higher is sometimes just overkill, depending on how the interface is designed. It's also common for a cheap converter (like a built-in audio input on almost any computer) running at 96KHz to sound worse than a nicer one running at 44.1 or 48.

Archived