What plugins can I buy for my Logic Pro 8 ?

Hello,

I'm a little lost in plugin land ... What plugins are compatible with Logic Pro 8 ?

Sorry for the stupid question but I don't want to buy the wrong ones ? Audio Units, Universal Binary ... Can someone explain it to me :oops:

Thanks.

Ginz.

P.S. : If you had a budget of 1.500 $ to spend what effect plugins would you absolutely buy ? Is EZ Drummer a big improvement on the drum sounds that come bundled with Logic Pro 8 ?

you're looking for audio units

and universal binary means that it works on the newer (intel) and older (ppc) macs

llok into native instruments 'komplete' for an incredible 'one-stop' instrument package (both traditional and way out there)

also sit out for feedback on spectrasonics upcoming 'omnisphere'...if it's half the synth they reckon it is , you probably wont need anything else

from native instruments i'm really liking fm8, absynth and massive....you can get these 3 with pro-53 for a great price

ezdrummer is also great....really simple to get into, set-up and get convincing results quicker than with some of the bigger drum packages....opyions to buy great expansion packs...i love 'vintage rock'...also has excellent midi patterns included in the program

hope this helps

hit back with the kind of music you want to make for some more suggestions

also, i haven't commented on effects....as of this moment i'm pretty happy with logics 'stock' plugs, although i really love camel audios 'camelphatt' and 'camelspace'

i also have a great plug in called timefreeze...just starting to have fun with it

Hello,

I'm a little lost in plugin land ... What plugins are compatible with Logic Pro 8 ?

Sorry for the stupid question but I don't want to buy the wrong ones ? Audio Units, Universal Binary ... Can someone explain it to me :oops:

Thanks.

Ginz.

P.S. : If you had a budget of 1.500 $ to spend what effect plugins would you absolutely buy ? Is EZ Drummer a big improvement on the drum sounds that come bundled with Logic Pro 8 ?

Broad question. Broad answer. Most plugins should work with Logic Pro 8. The major players have released Universal binaries for their plugins, they are exceptions, if so just do a search on a specific plugin you are interested in using the search on this forum to find out the state.

As for what plugins to purchase, it really depends on what you want to achieve. So if you explained a little bit more that might help sorting out what you want to get.

Thanks for your replies. I'm mainly recording pop/rock bands. I would love to have an all in one mastering plugin. I also need an easy way to add drums to my tracks. Ez Drummer seems to have pretty good reviews, so I'm gonna go with that I think.

I'm gonna check out Native Instruments also.

I also would like to have a good plugin for guitars. I did some testing with the one in Logic but I don't feel quite satisfied, Maybe I need to play a little more with it before buying another one.

I just did a research on OMNISPHERE on the net, that looks incredible!!

Thanks,

Ginz,

Thanks for your replies. I'm mainly recording pop/rock bands. I would love to have an all in one mastering plugin. I also need an easy way to add drums to my tracks. Ez Drummer seems to have pretty good reviews, so I'm gonna go with that I think.

I'm gonna check out Native Instruments also.

I also would like to have a good plugin for guitars. I did some testing with the one in Logic but I don't feel quite satisfied, Maybe I need to play a little more with it before buying another one.

I just did a research on OMNISPHERE on the net, that looks incredible!!

Thanks,

Ginz,

You could go very far with the Adaptive limiter and the provided mastering strips in Logic. But if you want more tube/analog warmth, check out VintageWarmer and similar products. Also, some like Izotope Ozone for mastering as it covers a large range of typical mastering issues. Both have reasonable pricing.

As for drum loops and natural sounding drums, there are many products out there, BFD from FXpansion et rest -- again you could get very far with the provided plugins in Logic (EXS samples and Ultrabeat with its natural drum sets.)

Anyway, what I'm trying to state is that one could do a lot of work with the provided Logic plugins, but if you need something extra, its quite OK to invest in such things, such as more amp simulation models for guitar work (I use a Line 6 PodXT which I adore as I could use it for both studio and stage work...) --Kent

BUY NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KOMPLETE!

That is, if you like amazing software instruments and effects with limitless possibilities (Reaktor, anyone?), that sound (in my opinion) better than most of the stuff on the market.

You get awesome sounding plug-ins that are very easy to use with amazing GUi's.

It is a little pricey but WELL worth it.

A nice list of others I enjoy:

pHatmatik (basically the guts of an MPC minus the sequencer)

Ethno (Sounds from all over the world with both instruments and sync-able loops)

Camel Space (amazing)

Camel Phat (also amazing)

BFD2 (most realistic drums. ever.)

Also if you like analog synth emulations check out the arturia product line.

I don't even know how I didn't put Waves on that list.

Pick up a Gold or Platinum bundle and you will laugh out loud when you see how good it sounds. I'm using the Platinum bundle and my life has been better since I got it a couple years ago.

Renn Axxe on guitars? Ridiculous.

RennVox on Vocals? Awesome.

L3 Limiter on your entire mix? Un-funking-believable.

C4 multiband compressor? The most musical compressor I have ever heard.

I could go on for days because each plug-in in there is awesome.

You can download a 14 day trial of everything they make and use it fully with no restrictions until it expires (but by then you already may have purchased it)

• 2 months later...
Hi, if you want to achieve some serious rock pop guitar sounds, you must have IK multimedia's Amplitube 2, that thing is just amazing!!! from clean sounds to crunchy or high gain sounds, try it, you're gonna love it.

Or this: http://www.amazon.com/Line-GearBox-Toneport-Recording-Interface/dp/B000JKVLR2

Quite a steal just now concerning the price.

Line 6 GearBox plugs are VERY good (guitar, bass, vocals, etc.). And they're coming out with a new version called POD Farm soon, which looks even better. If you buy the GearBox plugs now, I believe they're giving a FREE upgrade to the new ones when they appear next month.

Other great ones:

Toontrack Superior 2.0 -- THESE are the best drums out there (IMHO)

Toontrack EZDrummer and its various EZXpansion packs -- very good for quick sketches, and even serious work if you know what you're doing -- and they all open in Superior 2.0 if you go that route as well.

IK Multimedia's various plugs: Amplitube 2 (guitar), Ampeg SVX (bass), Classic Studio Reverb, and TRackS (mastering, etc. -- they have a new version 3 out that looks fantastic)

Not a plug-in, but:

Reason -- through ReWire, can add an incredible pile of sounds and instruments to your Logic rack (plus, this leaves you with "Logic" and "Reason", which is always a good combination in this life...)

Good luck! :D

Archived