Setting record levels in Logic

D-Man

Hi all

I'm new to Logic after cutting my teeth in GB and was hoping I might be able to benefit from some of the pros out there on an issue I'm having with record levels

In GB my nic'ed instruments and vocals all recorded nicely at roughly the same level as the GB software instruments. In Logic I'm having issues with this though - to the point where I'm concerned its a fault somewhere in my hardware or software.

Seemed to work okay the first couple of times, but then in projects I'd already started I was having trouble getting much signal from the mic in at all

Could someone please advise on how I set up record levels in Logic - any advice would be much appreciated.

My audio interface is a line 6 toneport ux2 and I'm using a fairly new rode condensor mic that has never given me grief in GB

Cheers

That would be a cultural language issue between America and Australia. If an Aussie says something is ordinary it means it's not good. To clarify, the electric guitar levels are fine, the microphone levels are not good. I need the gain way up on my audio interface to get sound in - and it is still a lot lower than the other audio I'm inputting (via software/midi instruments and electric guitar)

Just though of something else - in Logic maybe you're not selecting the correct input channel. The Toneport I believe has 4 inputs to chose from, which you would have to manually select in Logic. I'm guessing, but maybe 1 and 2 are the 2 mic pre's, and 3 and 4 the two hi-z (guitar) inputs. Just an idea.

Good luck....

BTW - I don't think cultural language issue really comes into it. In audio speak, in most countries anyway, levels are usually measured in decibels, not levels of ordinary-ness..... :wink:

Thanks for the replies - sorry I haven't gotten back sooner - 8 month old baby limits time

Phantom power is on - I have switched from the instrument input to the mic input on the Line 6 software

The point made by Nado piqued my interest though. How do I "manually select" the input channels in Logic. Sorry - this is probably a very basic question that the manuals would help with - but aforementioned 8 month old sees me seeking a quick answer from the forum.

one other thing - I set the record parameters to surround when I started (just experimenting

I realised how much of a drain this is on hard drive after I had already got down a tune that I like and want to keep)

Would this surround setting have any impact on the audio input I get from the microphone?

As I mentioned I am a real newb to Logic so I am possibly doing something mental