Wrapping VST Plugins with FXPansion VST to AU

Hey guys,

I am wanting to use some of the VST Plugins from my PC through Logic and found FXPansion. Does anyone here have any experience with this? The wrapper needs the VST files so it can wrap them to AU. Does that mean I just copy the .dll files from my PC into my specified directory on my Mac? Any help / advice would be awesome.

Whoop Whoop

Oh yes I understand that. I switch between PC / Mac for differing reasons. Logic is my main system though, however I was just trying to understand the process between VST's and AU's. Clear as mud. Thanks David.

Well I'm afraid none of your PC VST will work on Mac, like I said, so you would have to purchase them again for the Mac version (some companies may offer to exchange your PC license for a Mac license).

Understand that A.U. is the standard on the mac platform, and the reason Apple developed it is because they felt the VST standard, which has more features and is more flexible for developers, is also too open, resulting in the possibilities of a very unstable system. By closing the platform to a more strict standard (A.U.), they can ensure a more stable system.

However, that whole theory falls apart the minute people start using wrappers to force the use of VST plug-ins on a Mac. On one hand, your stability goes out the window. That's one thing. But there's worse: you're encouraging manufacturers not to bother coming out with an A.U. version of their plug-ins, since now they can simply tell you "Oh yeah use a wrapper". So much for a stable system.

So in my opinion wrappers are evil. You should not use them. Obviously, you're the final judge on that, and I'll let you make your decisions, and sometimes there's this amazing VST plug you just HAVE to have. But at least I wouldn't recommend building a whole computer system around a bunch of wrapped VST plug-ins.

My $0.02, should you wish to read it!! :wink:

However, that whole theory falls apart the minute people start using wrappers to force the use of VST plug-ins on a Mac. On one hand, your stability goes out the window. That's one thing. But there's worse: you're encouraging manufacturers not to bother coming out with an A.U. version of their plug-ins, since now they can simply tell you "Oh yeah use a wrapper". So much for a stable system.

An excellent point and a perspective I'd never considered before! I'll definitely be using that one next time someone argues to simply use a wrapper :-D

you could find alternatives, i cant remember ive stumbled upon a plug that wouldnt have an adequate alternative :)

by the way, i think you should be entitled for both licenses of the plugin as long as you run them on the same machine.. (bootcamp'd windows perhaps)

edit: but then again, why would you use it...

Archived