How do I fade out a song

D-Man

Whilst I eagerly await David's instructional book - could someone tell me how I fade out a song in Logic Pro? I looked through the Logic texts and something as seemingly easy as this wasn't explained (as far as I could see). In GarageBand this was simply a matter of bringing up a master track in the arrange window and dragging the audio line that appears to the desired fade out shape. Not sure what I need to do in Logic though

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Another post directed me to this answer. Thank you David. This does prompt another question though. How is this "Logical." I'm still stumped with the "logical" thinking in Logic. Yes, I've got your book and have worked through about half of it so far. The book is very helpful. Maybe somebody out there could give me an angle or approach I'm not seeing to better understand Logic. Things(buttons, interfaces, key commands) are just not where I would expect them to be.

If you can shed some light - thank you!

How is this "Logical." I'm still stumped with the "logical" thinking in Logic.

Since what you want to do is slowly turn down the volume of the whole mix, you take the channel strip controlling the volume of the whole mix (the Stereo Out channel strip) and automate it. Since in order to record its automation you need a track to record that automation onto, first you create that track.

Sounds pretty logical to me!? :D

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

David,

It has been almost a year using Logic 9 with two fairly large projects behind me. Last year I read enough of your book to get me through the learning curve and into the projects. Now, with a bit of down time before the next project due date, I'm going through your book, step by step, doing all of the exercises with the provided files. GREAT STUFF. Extremely well done. Going through the steps, one by one, really fills in the blanks for me.

Thanks for the great resource!

Skip

To anyone thinking this isn't very "logical" ask yourself how you would do a fadeout w/ a physical mixer? You'd use the faders and pull them down. If you don't think automation is logical, just click on "read" or better yet "touch" and pull the fader down w/ your mouse or controller.

That said, it is unusual to do a fade-out in a DAW anyways imo. Global fade-outs are usually done in the mastering process and with a program like Peak.

Archived