Digidesign Mbox 2

I have moved a Digidesign USB Mbox 2 audio interface on to my iMac as I also use ProTools 7.4. However I get application crashes and freezes in other applications (like Logic, Mail, Safari etc) when it is attached. As soon as I disconnect the Mbox 2 and go back to using core audio everything is stable. I have sent crash dumps to both Apple and Digidesign without response.

Is there anyone else out there using an Mbox 2 with Logic 8 on an Intel iMac with success and can tell me what is wrong. At the moment I only connect the Mbox 2 when I need to run ProTools.

Digidesign drivers baby! They're crap, they take over the whole system when used, you cannot use another app that has sound with it.

+1. Get rid of that junk. It's Digidesign's problem, and trust me you can write all you want, they're not going to do anything about it. It's been like this for 10 years, ever since the Digi001 was introduced.

Hi, I would tend to agree to some extent with the above posters as my MBOX2 also causes problems with my system....HOWEVER the professional community at large still use Pro Tools (rightly or wrongly) and so I would not ditch your MBOX as being PT proficient is pretty much an essential skill to have if you wish to work in studios other than your own.

I'm going to soon be in a similar situation as I will be taking a couple of classes that require Pro Tools and I plan on getting the Mbox 2 Mini for the classes.

What is the best way to go about this? Should I leave the Mbox disconnected whenever I am not using Pro Tools? Will I have to disconnect my Apogee Duet when I am using Pro Tools?

I don't intend to ever run both Pro Tools and Logic at the same time. In fact I shouldn't have to run anything with Pro Tools except Firefox, Preview, and maybe Quicktime. Will stability be an issue for me?

I'm going to soon be in a similar situation as I will be taking a couple of classes that require Pro Tools and I plan on getting the Mbox 2 Mini for the classes.

What is the best way to go about this? Should I leave the Mbox disconnected whenever I am not using Pro Tools? Will I have to disconnect my Apogee Duet when I am using Pro Tools?

I don't intend to ever run both Pro Tools and Logic at the same time. In fact I shouldn't have to run anything with Pro Tools except Firefox, Preview, and maybe Quicktime. Will stability be an issue for me?

You wont have to disconnect your Apogee duet when running Pro Tools, but I don't see any benefits of having it connected? You wont be able to use it in conjunction with PT. Be grateful you will have both bits of gear - I have to make do with an MBox2 for running PT and Logic. Yes, I would disconnect your MBox2 when not using PT, they tend to cause problems, i.e. my MBox2 can has made my system Kernel Panic when using it with Logic. Also, I have found that with my MBox2 that if it connected for too long without being used, when you finally do use it it crackles and you have to unplug it and reocnnect it to 'refresh' it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I would tend to agree to some extent with the above posters as my MBOX2 also causes problems with my system....HOWEVER the professional community at large still use Pro Tools (rightly or wrongly) and so I would not ditch your MBOX as being PT proficient is pretty much an essential skill to have if you wish to work in studios other than your own.

Yeah, I decided to run my Logic Via the M-Box 2 Pro Fire Wire Interface at the beginning to try to save money & I have had the same exact thing, plus developed anger issues in which future anger management classes might arise.

My suggestion would be to discontinue the use of the M-Box2 & look into another FireWire Based Interface for Logic Pro 8. I like the Motu 8 Pre as well as the PreSounus Fire Studio Project for the Money. Also, you cant seem to go wrong with Apogee Duet as well. ( http://www.sweetwater.com/c683--FireWire_Audio_Interfaces ) Goodluck & Stay out of Anger Management Classes!! :twisted:

-Noits

Logic Cured My Apathy

i DONT KNOW WHY you are getting issues, i have been using the mbox 2 with USB on logic and pt sessions and havent had a crash although my retarded usb pin for hypersonic fuckes up and most of the time does not load up all the presets especially the ones i need most..hope u get it sorted

Glad to read this thread so I know I'm not going out of my head. i got a MBox 2 because my current job is at a PT shop. I also upgrade some other hardware at same time. So was sure of the source of the problem. I started getting Safari, Mail, and other app's going zombie and even Force Quit won't kill the app. So now I know the cause. I fact I had my first HARD CRASH of my Mac in years since installing MBox 2. Thank goodness I had a fresh CCC clone to restore from.

I will say when I start getting a lot of these zombie app issues I do a that Opt-CMD-P-R reboot and that helps.