gear choice

Back when MP3.com actually hosted artists music and printed and shipped cd's for the artists as well (1999?) I use to produce with (don't laugh) the "ejay" suite of applications. I had some success there and sold a bit over 600 cd's until they sold the site. So I have been wanting to get back into recording for some time and Logic 8 seems to be the oppertunity I was looking for.

So I've recently purchased a Mac Pro and Logic Studio a month ago. This month I went ahead and picked up an Apogee Duet and Sennheiser HD280's. I've set a budget for myself to not spend more then 1k on this per month while getting in. I am interested in producing my own "Trip Hop" music (think Massive Attack, Portishead, Sneaker Pimps, Lamb and the such) however my musical tastes might lead me into attempting other genre's as well.

So my dilemma is that I was browsing my local craigs list and I ran across some KRK V6's (not VXT) for $350/pair with monster cables, the following day some one posted Mackie HR624 MKII for $600/pair. Now I know monitoring with headphones vs near field monitors is like night and day (from what I've heard). I am wondering which of these to go after? Maybe I should take this round of cash and buy a decent guitar / midi controller / mic / anything else I would need (recommendations?).

I gave you the back story so you know what skill level / depth I'm working with. I am pretty serious about this pursuit, however I don't expect to be quiting my day job anytime soon. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much.

What did you use way back when?

lol, At the time I have a soundblaster Live (with midi ins) with I believe Logitech 5.1 speakers.

Yes this isnt my current career, I expect I would eventually want to do a show or two at a local club/lounge if I get any good at it. Do you have any experience with either model?

What did you use way back when?

lol, At the time I have a soundblaster Live (with midi ins) with I believe Logitech 5.1 speakers.

Yes this isnt my current career, I expect I would eventually want to do a show or two at a local club/lounge if I get any good at it. Do you have any experience with either model?

Mine are Event SP8's nearfield and EV sx-500 for House mix, I also use cheap earbuds with ear gels attached.

The krk's are good enough and for the price they'er pretty much a must buy. Sure, those Mackies are awesome and "standard" but you don't really need them yet, and you have 650 bucks left this month to get a good midi controller with plenty of buttons and sliders and more importantly maybe a few pieces of software you're going to benefit greatly from.

For Trip-Hop you really need to check out Stylus Rmx (great customizable drum rompler), Absynth (atmospherics, granular synthesis and beyond), Lounge Lizard (electromechanical keyboards) PSPMixPack (great analouge sounding mixing suite that works great on trip-hop for that mid 90's vibe), or maybe even looking into buying Reason and rewire it (suprisingly many contemporary artists use it for trip-hop and the limitations are actually a good thing when you're using it with Logic).

Well, the mackies are from mid-2002 so that's not really the issue for you. I really like them though, a bit lighter than the 824 but still very very good. The HS80M's usually go a bit cheaper than that and while the way you can customize it is excellent, you'd be better off with the krk's.

Get the krk's and get some good sounding software instruments for the rest.

I would pick up those V6's if you can for that price. They may be a year outdated, but i mean, f*ck its one year, they are still great speakers.

Good luck with your music career....

BTW to who said it, stylus is more than just a ROMPLER, you can load in any file you want (as long as it is in REX format.)