Euphonix MC Control Owners - feedback on Jog Wheel Operation

Hi All,

I have just received my 2nd MC Control because the jog wheel was rather difficult to turn. In my opinion, this should be effortless and it should be able to be performed with one finger and very little pressure. My replacement unit does the same thing. Whether I turn it from the inside of the wheel, or the outside of the wheel, it always gives me some sort of resistance. I end up having to grab it with 2 or 3 fingers to turn it. Am I the only one that is experiencing this? I LOVE the unit, don't get me wrong. I just wish they took a little extra time in designing the jog wheel. One other thing I hope they address in the future is a flicker free touchscreen.

In an effort to make working with the jog wheel easier, I came up with this. I had a cheapo screwdriver hanging around. This one had a screw top in which it housed several bits. Being the perfect size, I decided to use it for the knob. Before I epoxied the knob on, I very gently applied a bit if graphite lubricant around the edge of the jog wheel. If you press on the edge of the jog wheel (even ever so slightly) It will cause the opposite side of the wheel to lift a bit. The jog wheel has a flange underneath the case, which is rubbing and causing friction. I greatly reduced the friction using the graphite lube. Next, epoxied the knob and i am good to go. It is working perfectly! I have to use 2 fingers, but It is a pleasure to work with...........Now..... about that screen flicker ...........

graphlube.jpg.c87bc017a341d28beeb4846ac9a5dccb.jpg

MCMOD.jpg.742a2ae3c35c59bba8de72610239e906.jpg

• 2 months later...

hmmm - I didnt have too many issues with mine. The Eucontrol software being a bit buggy is quite a nuisance, I often require a reboot to get it working after its been powered off.

My Jog wheel works fine - though I rarely use any of the shift functions for it.

I might start a new topic - "most useful MC Control uses at some point.....

Cool fix on the new knob! I can't however endorse putting conductive metal powder in to an electrical enclosure. Graphite lubricant is actually powdered graphite, which is a metal and conducts well enough that people used to use (graphite) pencils to over-clock old AMD chips. Just draw a trace on the silicon to connect some resistors! I hope you know what you are getting into.

Good Luck.

Cool fix on the new knob! I can't however endorse putting conductive metal powder in to an electrical enclosure. Graphite lubricant is actually powdered graphite, which is a metal and conducts well enough that people used to use (graphite) pencils to over-clock old AMD chips. Just draw a trace on the silicon to connect some resistors! I hope you know what you are getting into.

Good Luck.

Thanks.

I did know that. I took it apart before doing anything so I could get a good lay of the land, so to speak. There is nothing in the way of the graphite lube. The reason I used it was to get rid of the "rubbing" it was having in one little spot. It was actually hard to turn it once it got to that spot. Mind you, this is the second unit that displayed this behavior. I was very careful and used VERY LITTLE. I do have to say that it did the trick wonderfully.

Appreciate the input!

• 1 year later...

Fazmanicg,

I too am tired of the feel of the jog wheel friction.

Did your fix work? Did your unit explode with the graphite?

Have you had to use again?

I too came up with the idea of putting a knob on top of the jog wheel, have not done yet. It is not easy to use as is...

I suppose this is one of the reasons Euphonix came out with the Transport, lots of money for something I wish they had done right the first time on the MC Control.

Fazmanicg,

I too am tired of the feel of the jog wheel friction.

Did your fix work? Did your unit explode with the graphite?

Have you had to use again?

I too came up with the idea of putting a knob on top of the jog wheel, have not done yet. It is not easy to use as is...

I suppose this is one of the reasons Euphonix came out with the Transport, lots of money for something I wish they had done right the first time on the MC Control.

Works Great!

Have had zero problems. Keep in mind that I took the unit apart first to see what was underneath the spot I lubed. I used VERY LITTLE lube. That, in combination with the Knob, has made Peter a very happy boy !! :)

Awesome thread,

I have the MC Control, and I don't mind the jog wheel at all. Although I am a video editor as well, and I have used some pretty crappy jog wheels in my time. I like big smooth jog wheels

Like this: http://www.jlcooper.com/pages/mcs3usb.html

Now that Euphonix has released the MC Transport, you may want to think about going that way for your Jog dial needs, I have felt this one, and it is very very nice.

So I would love to see a "How are you using the MC Control" thread

what commands have you programed, tips and tricks.....lets do it...who's first