writing tunes as a drummer

spielemusik

Hello All,

I can't help to think that as a musician or producer, when writing or arranging tunes, how much our primary instrument influences our production. I know I'm freely interchanging the words 'musician' and 'producer' here, but since I write my own stuff, and have an ear for the sound I'm after (the production part), the role of a musician and producer easily becomes blurred - but i digress. Being a drummer, i find that i naturally think of a groove or bass line first when sketching out beginning ideas for a tune. Recently i started taking jazz guitar lessons, and have been experimenting w/ blending elements of funk and blues, while using a lot of 7th chords for the rhythm guitar. It has been a growing process for me to think in terms of melody and chord structure, to compliment my natural ability for feeling a groove. The type of music I'm making for this album, relies heavily on catchy rhythms. In the past i would bring in other guitarists, or use my dad (a professional keyboard player) to help w/ chord progressions. It's been liberating to finally be able to play the chords i hear in my head by using my guitar, and I'm loving the sound of my les paul studio through my vox amp. I was curious if there were any other drummers out there who have made the transition to learn a melodic instrument, and how they've come along w/ writing songs. One of the best tools of Logic Pro 8, imo, is the quick swipe comping. I've relied on this feature a lot for my guitar parts. And while I strive to have feeling of continuity w/ my chord progressions, it's a nice tool to have when i'm not quite as comfortable to play out an 8 bar chord progression on my guitar, i.e. struggling a bit to be able to form my chords cleanly while moving from one chord to another. Suppose there's a lot in this post. Just wanted to see if I could generate any feedback on being a drummer and writing tunes, or learning another instrument and how that has made for easier writing/arranging.

Regards,

Billy

I used to be a drummer, I use the term 'used' because it's been some years now since I sat behind a kit! When I was younger I was in a couple of bands,and I started dabbling with synths in between takes,much to the keyboard player's dismay,and I gradually found I was more interested in playing the keyboard than I was playing the drums. Although on saying that I still consider myself a drummer at heart.

I know what you mean when you say being influenced by your primary instrument so to speak, as I always go for the beat/groove first myself. Since I make tech music,it's sort of helps in my opinion that I've had experience with drumming aswell as keyboards,as it's basically beat driven music. :)

I wonder about if my music is gonna appeal to anyone besides me or maybe just drummers...or what about people who don't like Electronic Music??? All I can do is show you some of my stuff. I too am learning a melodic instrument..Piano....I figure it will help my composing to bring it up a notch! I can say though that i have been known to spend more time sculpting my drum sounds than my synth sounds. Makes sense right?

myspace.com/totigerus