Musiclab's Midioverlan Mac Intel Leopard and Logic 8

Has anyone here successfully used the latest version of midioverlan via Vmware fusion to XP SP3?

I am new to this and have scoured the internet for a solution. I installed midioverlan as per the instructions, but I cannot see the driver out ports in Logic.

The driver shows up in the Audio Midi Setup (utilities) but it does not show up in Logic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I was experementing with this not so long ago, although I use Parallels, there does not seem to be much info on the net. It's strange you are not seeing the ports in Logic, I can see them fine here although sometimes if you are a bit quick loading Logic up after start up, it states the port as missing. Have you set them up in the environment? Just add a multi instrument in the Midi Instr. section and call it MIDILAN, or whatever then you should be able to select the midi over lan in the ports section to the left. Before all that though, I pressume you have configured the settings in the midi over lan application? I set up 2 ports(each port gives you 16 channels, although I guess you knew that anyway), one for MIDI channel data(1-16) and the other one for MMC/MTC/MIDI Clock etc. You could probably use just one port and call it something you will recognize, as that is what it will show up in Logic as when setting an instrument up in the environment. Make sure you enable the ports in the MOL app. I use MOL to control Cubase on my PC from Logic and it works an absolute treat, stays locked solid as oppose to some of my hardware MIDI interfaces which seemed to drift. I tried it in the virtual machine world (OSX 10.5.4 & XP SP3 running in Paralells) and the only way I could get it to work was by connecting my ethernet 1 port to my ethernet 2 port of my mac pro. If you have not got 2 ports I'd be very supprised if you will get it to work at all. I emailed music lab and they said it was something they were working on. It will only work the one way at the moment, from OSX - XP, and that was with the ethernet ports linked. I could not get it to work at all over the network that Parallels configures. Thats what I discovered at least, it may be different in Fusion. What are you trying to do? I gave up on trying run cubase or vst's on a virtual machine controlled from Logic as appart from Parallels not supporting firewire yet for my audio interface, when configuring it with the internal Mac soundcard under XP, the latency and stability of it all proved to poor to even consider persuing it. I bought a reasonably budget PC (Q6600) £369, and reinstalled it with vista ultimate and use Midi over lan and it's rock solid. I just set up an external instument in Logic and assign the MOL port and audio input from the PC motu device. Bit long winded, but hope that is of some help. Cheers :)

Hello Disco, thanks for getting me started! Problem is I am new to logic and new to midioverlan and I am not able for find a logic environment window for dummies nor a midioverlan for dummies manual or video lol!

Ok Step 1 completed: I set 2 ports in the Midioverlan see photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30173187&id=1127358894

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30173188&id=1127358894

Step 2 I went in Logic's Environment window to create the Midioverlan Multi instrument. Here is the pic:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30173200&id=1127358894

Ok Step 4 is where I am confused. What I am trying to do is for example load my exs 24 sampler in Logic and use my Waves effects on Cakewalk Sonar since I bought the plug-in in PC format.

I am having trouble understanding the routing! Could I load EX 24 sofware instrument and send the out port to midioverlan? If so how can I accomplish this?

As for Vmware fusion I read somewhere that if you simply put the Network Adapter to bridged XP will recieve the network flow.

Hey Disco thanks a lot for getting me started! A little more understanding and I should be on my way!

Hi,

No problem, however what you are trying to do is not as simple as it possibly sounds using a VM. If you want to send audio from EXS24 to your waves plugins in Sonar, you need more than just MOL. You need another audio interface in order to send the output from exs into sonar, through you waves fx and then back again. This is the exact reason I went down the same route, I had too many plugins I had purchased which were PC vsti only and I wanted to use them. I tried it with parallels and it worked, but not very well. If you really want to get the best out of your Sonar and waves plugs, see if you can pick up a PC that is powerful enough to handle you plugins and take it that route. Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, but I wasted too many days trying to get a VM to run well enough for the task. Parallels also bridged the network but MOL could not see each other on the different operating systems, it didn't work. As I said, music lab got back to me saying they were working on it but even when it does, I just think the overall latency / feel of the setup will annoy you, as it did me. All the best.

Thanks for the advice disco. Yes I have my dual xeon 3.0ghz machine that can do the job, I was just hoping I could simply do it on my 2.8GHz 8 core machine since I have 32 gigs of ram available if I wish! Currently only using 6 . of course I can always continue bouncing my tracks but what a pain!

Thanks for your input!

oh, so you have a PC and a mac pro? What audio interfaces have you for the both? You could try it that way to get a feel for it. Let me know if I can assist. Cheers.

Hey Disco well the I gave the PC to my son in law lol! So that is out of the question. I guess I will have to bounce my tracks!