Transferring EXS24 Instruments & Samples from PC to Mac

Axirra

Hi all,

I've been using logic 5.5 on PC for some time and I am in the process of transferring over my sample libraries / projects etc.

One problem I have encountered is the transfer of EXS24 instruments. I have manually added my Instrument settings into the Sampler Instrument folder on my mac, this all works fine and I can open these with no issues in Logic 8.

However the instruments I've transferred can't find the relevant samples. I have copied my PC library onto an external HD which is connected to my Mac, thinking that logic would automatically scan all HD's to find the missing samples but this doesn't seem to be happening as I keep getting a message telling me Logic can't find the samples.

Can anyone let me know what I need to do for logic to find the original samples? I've had a search on the forum and can't seem to find any relevant threads.

I did read that Redmatica offer a sample organiser which should rectify the issue I'm having but ideally, I'd like to know if theres a work around without having to buy 3rd party software, my wallet can't take any more abuse after buying the Mac and Logic 8! :?

Thanks in advance...

What, (exactly) was the drive/folder relationship between the .EXS files themselves and the samples for those files when you had everything working OK on your PC?

I'm not sure if I understand your question fully but the instruments I created on the PC were compiled from random samples scattered across my sample library.

I didn't compile the relevant samples into one file unfortunately, something I should have perhaps done in hindsight(!)

My PC had 2 internal hard drives. One for the system, one for audio. All the samples were kept on the audio drive, the .exs files were inside the main logic folder on the systems drive.

I'm now using an imac with an external HD for my audio samples which I copied over from the PC.

If you still have Logic 7 running... (or can reinstall just the app)

Then Project Manager will work a treat to 'reconnect' all the links between your .exs instrument and the actual samples (.aiff/.wav , etc)

Link below is the tread explaining further (after I did a similar transfer/ malfunction)

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=22774&highlight=keymap

If you still have Logic 7 running... (or can reinstall just the app)

Then Project Manager will work a treat to 'reconnect' all the links between your .exs instrument and the actual samples (.aiff/.wav , etc)

Link below is the tread explaining further (after I did a similar transfer/ malfunction)

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=22774&highlight=keymap

I was more prehistoric than 7 unfortunately - 5.5 on PC. So no Project Manager :( I think I need Redmatica's EXS Manager to solve my issues. Thanks for your help guys...

Just a shot in the dark, but have you moved your old samples into the folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Logic

Maybe Logic 8 only searches there?

I was under the impression that Logic 8 updates the EXS files after it has found the samples.

No I haven't moved the samples there, all my samples are on an external hard drive.

The thing is, logic does attempt to look for the samples, but I don't know if I can somehow "point" logic towards searching my external drive, in a similar way that you can manually search for an audio file if its missing from a project. Any ideas?

Okay, understand this: your sampler instruments must reside in a folder ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

These will show up in the EXS24 sampler menu.

For Logic to find them, I think your samples should be in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/

Try creating an alias for your external hard drive sample folder. (Select folder, type Command-L). Drag this alias into the above folder ( ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/ )

Does this work?

Okay, understand this: your sampler instruments must reside in a folder ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

These will show up in the EXS24 sampler menu.

For Logic to find them, I think your samples should be in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/

Try creating an alias for your external hard drive sample folder. (Select folder, type Command-L). Drag this alias into the above folder ( ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/ )

Does this work?

Hi,

I've managed to sort my inital problem with the Redmaticia EXS Manager but I would like to relocate my sampler instruments folder to my external drive using the Alias method you've mentioned.

I've tried the steps above but it doesn't seem to work for me, I guess I'm doing something wrong?

When I follow the steps above and I open a new EXS instrument & click "refresh" my custom library has replaced with the default logic instruments.

Another strange thing I noticed is when I've created the alias and moved it into the ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/ folder, when I click on Refresh on the EXS24, a new (empty) Sampler Instruments folder is created inside

~/Library/Application Support/Logic/

which is abit weird I thought.

I have checked the routing of the alias by clicking "show original" which pointed towards to Sample Inst folder I had copied onto my external drive, so I'm kinda confused :(

Your sample instruments (.EXS files) should be in the folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

That is where I place the alias to my own .EXS files and they show up nicely in Logic.

What I was referring to was the actual samples (which is your problem, right?). So, I was hoping that placing an alias pointing to the samples in:

would allow Logic to find them more easily if there was a folder path that it could find in its "Home" folder.

Your sample instruments (.EXS files) should be in the folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

That is where I place the alias to my own .EXS files and they show up nicely in Logic.

What I was referring to was the actual samples (which is your problem, right?). So, I was hoping that placing an alias pointing to the samples in:

would allow Logic to find them more easily if there was a folder path that it could find in its "Home" folder.

Ah ok cool, thanks. it may have worked to be honest, but I've bought the EXS24 manager which sorted my original problem, maybe sI shoula waited a couple more days, anyway all sorted now.

Gonna try and get the alias thing to work for my regular sample instrument folder as I'd like to have them on my seperate HD...