Creating looping songs (reverb trail problems)

So I know there are multiple ways of creating your own loops using the Apple Loop Utility and etc. But I'm wondering what kind of technique I could use to loop an entire song?

I ask this because I am working on a project for a up and coming PC game. It is an orchestral piece, but the director really wants the songs to be looped. I usually compose the songs so the beginning and end can loop "seamlessly"

If I put the locators around the whole song and play it in Logic, it sounds great, and it loops fine.

But of course if you play back in iTunes or something, it sounds very abrupt given the nature of the music. It's orchestral and the reverb trails are long. I can usually get away with it if it is a rock/metal song.

I may just totally be missing something but I can't seem to grasp how I may be able to accomplish this. I know in Fruity Loops, for example, you can say export song as "loop" and it will include the reverb trail at the end of the locator and overlap it on top of the beginning locator so that it is more seamless as a loop (works exceptionally well for cymbals).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I know in Fruity Loops, for example, you can say export song as "loop" and it will include the reverb trail at the end of the locator and overlap it on top of the beginning locator so that it is more seamless as a loop

Would it be possible to have the software in the game overlap the ending with the beginning?

Start loop2 @ [trackLength - endDecayLength]

Thats something I need to ask the director to see if he can do it. It's being done in the Ogre 3D open source engine. It's a a volunteer based project that we're working on so a lot of us are still new and figuring things out. Thanks for the suggestion I'll get back and see whats up with the programming..

EDIT:

So since I'm oblivious to programming (which I should learn), it's totally an OpenAL thing as opposed to the programming within Ogre. So I just need to figure out the restrictrions of OpenAL when it comes to looping. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or tips that would be awesome!

I think I understand what you mean. Basically the reverb trails will fold back on itself the second time around. So I could export the first take and then the second. The problem is. How do I get logic to do that?

I mean, I GUESS I could print all of it to audio, but I'm talking about exporting just MIDI. Plus I'm kind of confusing myself and im not even sure if printing to audio would even work? Nah what I mean?

I mean, I GUESS I could print all of it to audio, but I'm talking about exporting just MIDI.

:shock: :? :?: :?: :?:

Wait... what? You're concerned about reverb tails when exporting a MIDI file?

Sorry I might have made that confusing the way I said that, I should've been more clear, but you're not understanding what Im saying.

My whole entire project is virtual instruments/MIDI. There is no audio whatsoever in my project. But what I want to export the entire song as AUDIO. My point was that some people bounce down to audio, THEN mix, and THEN bounce their final. I want to skip that step and do a stereo bounce from my virtual instruments. I have reverb plugins on the software instrument tracks, but not only that, the sample itself has a natural reverb trail/release trail.

It sounds unnatural if I export everything between the locators and expect it to loop. I want the reverb trail at the END of the song to overlap on top of the beginning of the song when it loops so it natural flows. Preferably I want that trail to overlap on the second time as opposed to when the song starts for the first time.

Hope that made a little more sense. I'm taking the idea exactly from FL Studio/Fruity Loops. You had an export option to "export as loop." It would do exactly as I explained above

It's semantics. As soon as you bounce your MIDI instrument, it's not midi anymore. Bouncing to audio and "exporting just MIDI" are two different things.

Yes, I understand that, I simply worded it incorrectly since I was referring to the process of printing each MIDI track to audio first, as opposed to exporting the entire mix to a stereo file directly from the software instrument tracks. My bad.

OK, then what you probably want to do is what marcel72 alluded to:

1. In Logic, copy the music out twice. So the total project length will be 2x as long as it was originally.

2. Bounce the entire thing to a 2-track file.

3. In a wave editor (Logic's, or STP or Audacity or Peak, etc.), create two versions of the loop: a "First Play" (created from the first half of the bounce file) and an "All Subsequent Plays" (created from the second half of the file).

When the game plays the music, it needs to be programmed to play the "First Play" track (with no trailing reverb at its beginning) first. All later loops of the track play the "All Subsequent Plays" track, which has reverb at its beginning that comes from the end of the previous loop.