Recomended external Hard drive for logic 8

Hello can people recommend a good external hard drives for use with logic?

Ie samples, streaming, audio record drive ect.

Got a seagate free agent which is s#!+ coz there is no way to stop it sleeping, they forgot to put sleep controls in the drive manager software, its in the PC version, but mac version sleeps within a few seconds! and takes 10 seconds to start, so its just a big backup drive,.

So any recommendations on a nice 500 Gb external with sleep controls would be helpful.

Malk

http://twistedsessions.com/artists/655/audio.php

Edited by Malk

Going only from personal experience, I'm satisfied with the product...also happy with having all connection types, would be nice to eventually upgrade and make use of eSATA speeds.

I'll probably be back on here tomorrow, cursing a HD crash...such is the the law of sod :)

Edited by djals

Best drives are the ones you make yourself.

First, what's your system? Can you not use an internal? Internal SATA drives are the best solution.

Next is eSATA. Get an eSATA card, an eSATA fanless enclosure, and a big SATA drive with a big buffer (1TB or 1.5TB, 32MB buffer, Seagate, Hitachi...). Put drive in box, connect it to card. Voila!

That's really a less expensive, more reliable solution than any external drive you buy already made. Even Glyph drives aren't as reliable in my experience.

Next is eSATA. Get an eSATA card, an eSATA fanless enclosure, and a big SATA drive with a big buffer (1TB or 1.5TB, 32MB buffer, Seagate, Hitachi...). Put drive in box, connect it to card. Voila!

Hey David. Is it really that easy? I'm definitely a software-clicking kind of guy, not a hardware-assembling type. I did replace the RAM in my MacBookPro all by my little old self. Is this at about the same level?

I'm just itching to take a drive down to that Fry's over your way, you see. :D

It really is that easy! I own and run a Managed Service Provider company by day. David is correct. Here are David's caveats repeated:

Get biggest drive with biggest buffer

eSata fastest, then FW800, then FW400

Fanless enclosure

Make sure your enclosure's internal interface matches the type of drive. If you find an enclosure you like, it will tell you the appropriate hard drive to get.

... I must chime in, I like Seagate Barracudas, mostly as they are quiet and reliable, two things needed in my studio. Yes, get a cheap internal drive from Frys or a similar place and purchase a separate chassi, maybe one with two-three drives so you could add more in later. Or MacPros have four slots so I just add those into my internal system.

Next is eSATA. Get an eSATA card, an eSATA fanless enclosure,

Why a fan-less enclosure, wont the HD get hot faster. Also i been look at drive bays that hold more then just one esata drive. Because i know as time goes on i will need more and more room. Are these good and should they also be fan-less too.

Next is eSATA. Get an eSATA card, an eSATA fanless enclosure,

Why a fan-less enclosure, wont the HD get hot faster. Also i been look at drive bays that hold more then just one esata drive. Because i know as time goes on i will need more and more room. Are these good and should they also be fan-less too.

Silence. No fan = low noise.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I already have 500GB eSATA external HD, and it's blazing fast. Connects to my MBPro through a Bytec ExpressCard -- cheap and works great. I bought the drive from OWC, did not make it myself. But I'm always thinking about the future, adding more drive space, etc. So it looks like next time around I'll "roll my own". 8)

Sweet.

Actually it won't get hotter: fanless enclosure are designed to work as a heat sink. Just don't stack up a bunch of them together, and they won't get hot. Fan enclosure are much more fragile, bigger, and are supposed to be stackable but you still need good airflow around them (otherwise what's the point of having a fan).

In my experience, fanless enclosure are much more reliable. If there was a noise-free fan enclosure out there, I would still use a fanless enclosure.

You can buy the enclosures from OWC or www.macsales.com too.

Yeah, I know. I just always figured that it was more difficult than it is -- otherwise there'd be no market for preassembled externals. Now I know better.

Of course, people would probably still buy them, even knowing what I know now. After all, 22% of this country thinks that our current president is fantastic, and 9% actually still think the country is headed in the right direction. Go figure. :roll:

Sorry people my rig is

Apple g5 dual 2 ghz

2x 160 gb drives internal

1x500gb seagate free agent only good as back up serious sleep issues

4 gig ram

just need a higher track count on hard drive streaming as its maxing out sometimes, as well as my cpu's

Been doing this for years just need to squeeze some more outa the g5 until dosh allows new apple, check link if you would like to hear the kind of mixes iam attempting to do some are easy others are straining my set up, Solar arc pushed drive and cpus to the edge.

http://twistedsessions.com/artists/655/audio.php

and, for your MacBook Pro..here's a list of eSata cards:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Popularity%7c1&Ne=5000&N=6954&Ntt=esata+drive

and a bunch of drives ready to plug and go...

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Popularity%7c1&Ne=5000&N=6836&Ntt=esata+drive

(search around the site if you want to do the 'do it yourself' enclosure route). I'm mechanically inept (even changing a light bulb). I'd buy one ready to plug and play :lol: :lol:

Ok now it make sense.

dkgross I could not get your links to work will try later.

One thing thou. I like to plan ahead. I know to get esata, but i know i will be buying more HD. And i dont want have to stack up say 3 or 4 drive with separate enclosures. More if the External 4 drive Hotswap eSATA enclosures come with fans. I mean is it bette to get separate one's or is there another option. I just want to get best chose now. I just dont like clutter. And having little bay seem like a good idea until noise issue came up. thanks for the input.