Would you buy a UAD-Expander now?

Hey, Fader8! I hoped you would respond. It's just that the UAD-2 is physically MUCH more powerful, what with solo, duo, and quad processing. And the new plugins.

Also, if I may, do you know much about the UA Remote Pramp. It looks very useful. Thanks for your expertise.

Well, since uad-1 isn't that old i'd say you should wait no matter what you decide to do.

Uad1's will go down when people start getting uad2's. Make your choice and attack.

I've got both uad-2 and uad-1 (both expander and not) and i have to say that in order for a -1 to be favorable it has to go below 300 bucks. If you get it for that price it's still worth having around if you later get a -2.

It really comes down to your budget and need. A UAD-2 and an expander to run it with a laptop is going to be a pricey affair. On the other hand if you can get a UAD-1 with an expander really cheap, then you have more dough to buy plugs for it, which will work if you later upgrade to UAD-2.

Your choice really.

The UAD-2 xpander is supposed to be released this year. I understand it will be the "quad" version, so I expect it to be US $2K or so.

I assume you are running on a laptop, thats about the only reason you'd go with an xpander. And in that case, you can only run a single xpander. Consider then a UAD-2 quad is 10x more powerful than a single UAD-1.

If you already have an investment in the platform, thats one thing, but buying into the platform, I'd really consider what your goals are. Frankly - I only see two reasons why someone would "buy into the platform" and run a UAD alongside Logic.

First - if you wanted some of the UAD precision series mastering plugs. In that case, a UAD1 would probably be fine.

Second - you want some of the "big character" plugs like the 33609 or Moog. in that case, a UAD-1 will be very limited.

all IMHO and YMMV.

peace!

forgot to mention that the "basic plugs" you get with UAD (they're called mix essentials) really don't show what the card can do. Sure - they are fine, but logic plugs compete just fine with the UAD mix essentials. You'll really need to purchase more plugs if you want to take advantage of what UAD offers.

Bottom line - if you're only planning on using the basic plugs, I would not recommend a Logic user buy into the platform.

good luck!

Yeah, pretty much want the Precision Mastering Plugins, as I have not been overly impressed with Ozone 3. It looks like I can get UAD-1 Expander for my Macbook Pro with Essentials for about $250.00 US. That's a good price to get working and learning the platform. Of course, I'll need to get the Mastering plugins as well. Thanks to all.

Yeah, pretty much want the Precision Mastering Plugins, as I have not been overly impressed with Ozone 3. It looks like I can get UAD-1 Expander for my Macbook Pro with Essentials for about $250.00 US. That's a good price to get working and learning the platform. Of course, I'll need to get the Mastering plugins as well. Thanks to all.

In that case, I think a UAD-1 investment, along with perhaps the Precision Limiter, Precision Eq, Precision Buss compressor and Precision Maximizer would be a great way to go.

peace

Go with that, you can always get a uad-2 expander later if you feel like it, 250 bucks isn't a "waste".