Sloppy drum programming

Kent Sandvik

I need to do sloppy drum sequences, similar to alt rock music, power-pop and so forth. I could hack in something using DD-65 or a similar controller, but in case I want to do all this with a keyboard or Ultrabeat's step sequencer (or something else), any advices how to get this done?

I suspect I need to do this the old-fashioned way (i.e playing) but in case someone has advice to get this done with programming, it would be fun to share notes. For example, I think the velocities should be different everywhere, same with the timing, but just using swing factors won't cut it as that does not provide randomness...

You'll also get some nice (and perhaps more predictable) results using the Q values in the extended region parameters box. Local View>Extended Region Parameters.

Yes, I've used those, but I wanted a more organic/random spread. So my plan is now to record drums tonight with DD-65, quantize them as much as possible, and the humanize them to again get the human touch. Or skip part two, possibly.

Hi

You might want to take a look at this:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/articles/logicworkshop.htm

HTH

CCT

Cool article but it's within the 8 month limit so it can't be read by non-subscribers.

I got good results by doing MIDI input for drums, quantisize, and then using Humanise with somewhat lesser random range for velocities, down to 8 instead of 10 as too low velocity values for most drum parts makes it weak (at least for power-pop.) So that's my current strategy, seems to work really well: 1. first getting the patterns in, 2. clean up the most obvious timing mistakes, 3. make it again human.