Go to BarackObama.com and make some phone calls!

majool

If you want to see Barack win, help out and make some phone calls tonight or volunteer for tomorrow!

It is really easy to do. You can make as many calls as you like to people in battleground states, so it really won't take anymore time than you are willing to spend.

Just go to

http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

You can also see where you're registered to vote there as well as poll hours if you don't know.

Spead the word!

Hey majool,

Well, that's a dead give-away that you live in the states!

I wonder how many of our European and Australian, etc., members will follow your suggestion! :wink:

Anyway, I've been signed up for a while to help drag hung-over college students out of their dorm beds and off to the polls. Oughta be fun. "Get out of that damn bed before I kick your ass!"

I wonder how many of our European and Australian, etc., members will follow your suggestion! :wink:

You wouldn't really want italians to make a mess of your country as well,would you? :lol:

I would have voted for Obama,but don't tell around.......... :wink:

Acc!I knew it,someone's knockin' on the door at this very moment........

McCain was really pouring it on here in PA at the end. But we rallied and prevailed. Those dozen or so drunken college students I got to the polls helped! Trust me, they weren't gonna make it on their own!

But yeah, it's a good thing. A great thing. I think African-Americans are going to hold their heads a bit higher, and we actually get a smart guy in the white house! Imagine that.

I live in Northwest Indiana .... 30 minutes from Chicago, Illinois (Obama had his party their last night). While Northwest Indiana traditionally votes democratic, the rest of the state votes pretty consistently for republican .... which makes me pretty embaressed of my home state a lot of the time. By 10PM locally, Obama had won the country .... but it was still too close to call in Indiana. When I woke up this morning I had a feeling that we had flipped the state, and I was so happy to see that we had. It didn't make or break President Elect Obama's campaign, but as a democrat I've been told in the past that my presidential vote would never count as the State almost always votes for the other guy .... it's nice to prove them wrong and feel like I've made a difference. I just can't convey how ecstatic I am today. I've got a son that will turn 2 next week, and for the first time in his life I have a real sense of hope for his future. I know it won't be easy, and I know that there is a lot of work that needs to be done (in this country and on the world stage as a whole) but I think that we can fix these problems.

GOBAMA!!!!

Just wanted to chime in as well with how happy I am that Obama was elected. I don't just mean happy. I mean HAPPY!!! I would go so far as to say "ecstatic" as m-m-m said, but, well, you know, keeping up appearances and all... big boys don't cry and all that... :lol:

In all seriousness though, I'm over-the-moon delighted at Obama's election and for the first time in a very long time I feel like this country has a real leader. There's something quite comforting in the notion that we have a president-elect who, when he speaks, actually sounds presidential.

I was just a little kid when Kennedy and King, the great orators of the 60's, were cut down in their prime, and as such I only later experienced the power of their words (and the gravity of their assassinations) second hand via documentaries and so on. Having thought for the longest time that their deaths marked the end of an era of great orators and great leaders, to hear the passion I associate with their words from a contemporary, in real time, in my time, has made me feel hopeful, if not alive, as an American. Never thought I'd actually feel that way, let alone voice it, but there it is.

I was just a little kid when Kennedy and King, the great orators of the 60's, were cut down in their prime, and as such I only later experienced the power of their words (and the gravity of their assassinations) second hand via documentaries and so on. Having thought for the longest time that their deaths marked the end of an era of great orators and great leaders, to hear the passion I associate with their words from a contemporary, in real time, in my time, has made me feel hopeful, if not alive, as an American. Never thought I'd actually feel that way, let alone voice it, but there it is.

They stepped on more powerful toes and were dealt with. Let's hope this guy is slightly wiser and can compromise without the use of threats and force.

I was just a little kid when Kennedy and King, the great orators of the 60's, were cut down in their prime, and as such I only later experienced the power of their words (and the gravity of their assassinations)

There were two Martin Luther King lines that came to mind when I was watching Obama's speech last night from Chicago:

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

and . . .

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I wonder what those 4 kids are thinking today.

They stepped on more powerful toes and were dealt with. Let's hope this guy is slightly wiser and can compromise without the use of threats and force.

I'd hardly characterize Kennedy and King's methods as "threats and force".[/i]

As a registered Independent, I saw President-Elect Obama as the only real choice. I believe Sen. McCain greatly diminished his credibility by choosing Gov. Palin at so critical a time in American history. During his concession speech, McCain appear sober and finally aware that we, as a nation, required the very best from our leadership right now. He failed to exhibit any ability to deliver on that need in innumerable ways throughout his campaign; repeatedly taking the low road to achieve his ends.

I am, though, very proud that Americans generally have been galvanized to take an active role in their government once again. I don't think Obama is the messiah. He simply represents an OPPORTUNITY to put into action the shifting consciousness prevalent throughout the country. I really hope that the citizenry seizes and maximizes that chance. The last eight years have done incalculable damage to our national standing - morally, financially, and psychologically.

Americans: This was a wake up call. Stay alert, be diligent, be active. Demand the best, and nothing short of it, from our elected leaders.

To our global neighbors: Forgive our past misgivings and departure from American ideals. We are a young nation and we WILL make mistakes. Collaboratively, we can create something wonderful. (Musicians do it all the time! :) )

Peace,

JG

What an amazing night. People were out in the streets of San Francisco hugging each other and celebrating. I heard from a student that people were crowd surfing on a packed Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley.

The sad note, is that somehow it looks as if Prop 8 in California (anti-gay marriage) will pass, writing bigotry into the California State Constitution. This reverses the state supreme court ruling!?!?

As a liberal, last night I felt like forgiving and promising to treat the right with respect, something they lacked the decency to do these past 8 years. But, after hearing the news about Prop. 8, it is going to be tough.

Why is it that the religious right has to impose their beliefs on everyone??? What if they were told that unless they wore a veil, worshiped allah and took it up the bum that they would not be protected by the law???

Argh.... :cry: sorry to be a buzz kill.

Hi Majool -

You bring up a 'political' point to which I simply have to respond.

From both the political and religious perspective, Prop 8 (and gay "marriage") in general should have NOT been on the ballot. The constitution protection afford us ALL equal treatment under the law. To me, that mean that EVERY _LEGAL_ union should be just that - LEGAL. Having no religious connotation associated with the legality and execution of rights under that contractual union. (Taxation, insurance, etc. should be the same.)

Marriage, however, I feel is a RELIGIOUS institution. If a particular church CHOOSES to recognize a union, then so be. From a biblical point of view: "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto GOD what is GOD's." The average Christian church does, in fact, view homosexual as a sin. And they have every right to do so since their doctrinal text states it rather clearly. However, it also states that Christians should behave in a manner the basically sets an "example of righteous living" (to paraphrase). Others aren't bound to follow that "standard". Any Christian whose actually READ his bible knows this.

It's when we attempt to MIX the two that things go off tracks. The IMPOSITION of Christian theology unto society is a NO NO. Evangelizing and politicizing are two wildly different things. :?

Too bad neither side has taken the time to consider ALL of the options...

Peace,

JG

Interesting take and my point was that marriage, as far as government is concerned, is a legal institution and that any religious beliefs surrounding marriage should not be written into law.

Unfortunately, that is what happened. And it happened with the help of religious institutions like the Mormon Church in Utah. The hypocrisy that the very people who believe that 'adults are adults' when it comes polygamy, but not when it comes to consenting gay couples is frankly disgusting. It is my belief that without the misinformation being pushed on Californians by these types of religious groups, Prop 8 would not have passed. The ads here were truly disgusting and false, using scare tactics involving 'children' to convince voters to vote yes.

Then there is the case of voter's being cheated. A right-wing conservative group disguised itself as anti-prop 8 and collected voter registrations from anti-8 supporters, then changed their addresses and names slightly so that when they showed up to vote, they were denied.

Without the legal technicality of marriage, I would not have had a chance to live with my wife, who is from Colombia. Had nothing to do with religion, had to do with the law and my right to live with her, legally. Gay couples should have the same rights as I do.

I've nothing against someones religion being against homosexuality. But, I have a big problem with someone imposing that belief on someone else. A big problem. What about separation of church and state?

What about separation of church and state?
the fundamentalist chrstians convinced themselves that the constitution says nothing about separation of chruch and state. Hard to belive, I know, but if you can convinve yourself that creationism is more plausible than evolution then your capable of any number of delusions. See also: McCarthyism (why "In God We Trust" is on all our money and buildings)

If only those same fundamentalists were to be made aware of the sheer number of gay men and women who not only design the clothes they wear but have written and/or performed their treasured Christmastime pageants, galas, ballets, concerts, Broadway shows and so on, they'd probably all implode...

See also: McCarthyism (why "In God We Trust" is on all our money and buildings)

Wasn't that Eisenhower's doing?

See also: McCarthyism (why "In God We Trust" is on all our money and buildings)

Wasn't that Eisenhower's doing?

actually I had to google this ... thanx for calling me out on it. It actually first appeared during the civil war on coins ....I saw mention of Eisenhower somewhere when I was looking ... I think that they added it to paper money while he was in office. I did see mention of it as an anti-communism tactic somewhere in there too .... I'm too tired right now to be more thorough .... sorry.

I think I'm getting confused with the addition of 'under god' to the pledge ...

with the whole McCarthyism thing.

Hey, no problem. I was off by about 100 years myself!

Here's a good link, courtesy of us taxpayers and the treasury dept:

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.shtml

...and...

Re the 50th anniversary of Eisenhower's signing into law the inscribing of the motto on paper currency:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/07/20060727-12.html

BTW everyone, president-elect Obama called ME today, and asked me to ask you to "stop calling already!" in a fake Yiddish accent. Hey, what can I say?! We laughed, we cried, we shmoozed a little. And then we hung up.

:mrgreen:

Good stuff.

An interesting article on the religious beliefs (or lack thereof) of our founding fathers. Found at the bottom of this page:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1061&Itemid=113

"On the topic of Washington's religious sentiments, Thomas Jefferson wrote in his personal diary entry for February 1, 1799, "when the clergy addressed General Washington on his departure from the Government, it was observed in their consultation, that he had never, on any occasion, said a word to the public which showed a belief in the Christian religion, and they thought they should so pen their address, as to force him at length to declare publicly whether he was a Christian or not. They did so.

"However," Jefferson noted to his diary, "the old fox was too cunning for them. He answered every article of their address particularly except that, which he passed over without notice." Jefferson concluded that Washington "never did say a word on the subject in any of his public papers, except in his valedictory letter to the Governors of the States, when he resigned his commission in the army, wherein he speaks of 'the benign influence of the Christian religion.' I know that Gouverneur Morris, who pretended to be in his secrets [in Washington's confidence] and believed himself to be so, has often told me that General Washington believed no more of that [fundamentalist Christian] system than he himself did."

In fact, President George Washington supervised the language of a treaty with African Muslims that explicitly stated that the United States was a secular nation.

Interesting take and my point was that marriage, as far as government is concerned, is a legal institution and that any religious beliefs surrounding marriage should not be written into law.

Unfortunately, that is what happened. And it happened with the help of religious institutions like the Mormon Church in Utah. The hypocrisy that the very people who believe that 'adults are adults' when it comes polygamy, but not when it comes to consenting gay couples is frankly disgusting. It is my belief that without the misinformation being pushed on Californians by these types of religious groups, Prop 8 would not have passed. The ads here were truly disgusting and false, using scare tactics involving 'children' to convince voters to vote yes.

Then there is the case of voter's being cheated. A right-wing conservative group disguised itself as anti-prop 8 and collected voter registrations from anti-8 supporters, then changed their addresses and names slightly so that when they showed up to vote, they were denied.

Without the legal technicality of marriage, I would not have had a chance to live with my wife, who is from Colombia. Had nothing to do with religion, had to do with the law and my right to live with her, legally. Gay couples should have the same rights as I do.

I've nothing against someones religion being against homosexuality. But, I have a big problem with someone imposing that belief on someone else. A big problem. What about separation of church and state?

You see, that is my point exactly! I am a Christian. However, hypocrisy was SO greatly despised by Christ, it is hard for ANY real Christ-follower to not be very wary of falling into that trap.

At the risk of being offensive (David: feel free to edit), I've spent a great many years studying various "religions" and their tenants. Unfortunately, many fall WAY short of the BASIC truths needed to sustain their credibility. I include Mormonism in that lot and have been an apologist to that end. Their basic tenants (until recently), have included flat-out racism, sexism, and fear-mongering; none of which are acceptable to Christ. In the words of Christ, they are an institution equivalent to a "whitewashed tomb full of dead men's bones."

As a retired officer of the US Army, I have, and will forever, defend the Constitution of the United States "against all enemies, foreign and domestic" even if it means forsaking my own life. While it doesn't expressly state that there should be a separation of Church and State, anyone worthy of their history book knows that our founders were ESCAPING both governmental and RELIGIOUS persecution when they came to this land. Thus, we were insured the guarantees of life, LIBERTY (absolute), and the pursuit of happiness. So, from a legal standpoint, there is nothing that should preclude the union of same sex couples and article that would grant them equal rights/protections under the law. It is merely the hate and hypocrisy of the FAR RIGHT that is oppressive. But, then again, it has ALWAYS been that way with fringe "members" of the Church (or any religion).

In short, because of the very "fallen nature" of man, I could not in good conscious condemn homosexuality without insuring my own damnation. I don't have to accept _into_ the Church either. (That, too, would be hypocritical.) I can only share my views in way that promotes dialog without hate. Beyond that, let democracy run its course. If the majority of people have a say and accept/reject a law on the ballot, so be it. However, have that vote in an atmosphere of clear understanding and reasoning; not with vileness and deceit. Protecting the rights of all Americans and preserving the sanctity of the church are not mutually exclusive. I think that if both sides of the discussion were approached by folks other than the wild-eyed, frothing-at-the-mouth anti-Christian/anti-gay talking points parrots we would be infinitely further along with this than we are. It really ain't that hard to get your head around. :?

Peace,

JG

Good stuff.

An interesting article on the religious beliefs (or lack thereof) of our founding fathers. Found at the bottom of this page:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1061&Itemid=113

that's a good link majool .... I liked this Jeffersonian quote from that link

As Thomas Jefferson wrote in a June 5, 1824 letter to Major John Cartwright, "Our Revolution commenced on more favorable ground [than the foundation of English or Biblical law]. It presented us an album on which we were free to write what we pleased. We had no occasion to search into musty records, to hunt up royal parchments, or to investigate the laws and institutions of a semi-barbarous ancestry. We appealed to those of nature, and found them engraved on our hearts."