So I think I was a little confused: Logic 8 vs Reason 4?

I always used Reason so I bought Reason 4.0 because I am very familiar with the interface. I also bought Logic 8 because I thought it was a very HIGH end recording and mastering program. I am now starting to realize I may invested more than what I thought I was. I was going to buy Recycle to stay in the Propellerhead area but now it seems I can do that with Logic. I don't know what to do because I only bought Logic to record in now I am confused to what i can actually do with Logic. Can editing loops in Logic be sent and used in Reason? Is there a good and logical way to use both programs together? Should I still buy Recycle?

I bought Reason before Logic also. Even some of the Sonic Refills. Then after buying Logic I found that I had less and less reason (no pun intended) to use Reason.

Logic IS a high end recording and mastering program but it does benefit from 3rd party programs. I will defer to others who use both but if I had to choose one, it really is not much of a choice since Reason does not record audio directly.

I bought Reason before Logic also. Even some of the Sonic Refills. Then after buying Logic I found that I had less and less reason (no pun intended) to use Reason.

Logic IS a high end recording and mastering program but it does benefit from 3rd party programs. I will defer to others who use both but if I had to choose one, it really is not much of a choice since Reason does not record audio directly.

so what ur sayin basically is i goofed up and didnt do my research?...i just always used reason and was more comfortable...i also wanted to do songs like a kanye west does like redo old songs with their loops and all and thought i needed recycle to use wit reason but ur basically sayin i can do all that and more in logic?

Although I've really had much experience with Reason, I'm under the impression that Logic can do all that it can, and yes, more. Reason 4 does give you that Thor Supersynth though, so... I'd be happy to mess with that thing. And honestly, I'm sure there might be other pro's to using Reason for more than one task.

Make the most out of it. If not, I'll buy Reason off you for $200!!!

Although I've really had much experience with Reason, I'm under the impression that Logic can do all that it can, and yes, more. Reason 4 does give you that Thor Supersynth though, so... I'd be happy to mess with that thing. And honestly, I'm sure there might be other pro's to using Reason for more than one task.

Make the most out of it. If not, I'll buy Reason off you for $200!!!

see what i was gonna do is just make some stuff in reason and send it over to logic...but i think i can play around with it and see what i can do

and i spent $499 for it :D

You can rewire Reason 4 into Logic and belive me Logic Pro 8 you can do a lot. I use Logic with my Motif ES 8, Battery 3 and some other VSTi's. I use that and call it a day, Logic takes sometime understanding but once you do oh man your good to go.

Yeah

I think you might find using logic with reason via rewire your best bet. I essentially use Reason as a Virtual instrument really. I do all my recording, programming, editing, mixing etc etc in Logic because I feel it offers a great deal more in terms of flexibility and options. Reason has a lot of great sounds though.

The good news is that you can use both of them together any way you feel comfortable.

HAve a good one. :D

...i just always used reason and was more comfortable...i also wanted to do songs like a kanye west does like redo old songs with their loops and all and thought i needed recycle to use wit reason but ur basically sayin i can do all that and more in logic?

CB, It doesn't really matter what genre you work in. It's more about how far and how deep you want to go. If you're happy and effective making music in Reason, then by all means continue. Start learning Logic on the side with some test projects, get David's book, take your time, ask questions here.

Dropping a tool that you know how to use, for another one that you don't know how to use, is folly and will only bring you grief. Learning Logic fully is a long haul, but it adds magnitudes to your toolkit for making and producing music that Reason can't touch. In the long run, you'll end up using both, each for their strengths.

With regard to Recycle, go for it. It's the s#!+ for creating Rex files, which are useful in both Reason and Logic. Good luck!

Nah, Logic can't do everything Reason can. Reason certainly can't do everything Logic can either, though.

Definitely ReWire Reason into Logic, man. I'm just learning Logic coming from Reason myself. If you have a control surface, and you have trouble using it in Reason, I just wrote up a little hack in this thread...

You didn't waste your money, you just have more to learn is all. Logic it seems is designed to directly take on Reason, and has a version of everything Reason has, but Reason has some synths and such that are unique to it. For that reason alone you've made a good purchase, you have more voices to work with.

Get some books, and learn them both, sooner or later a good workflow will open up to you. Good luck!

yea what i was thinkin was i could export samples from logic in to reason via the ReDrum...is rewire free from the propellerhead website?...like i said ive only played wit reason and it was the v2.5 at that...and where do i go for these books?

i also have an oxygen keyboard and thats pissin me off because im runnin a macbook and it seems not to be readin the driver

.i also wanted to do songs like a kanye west does like redo old songs with their loops and all and thought i needed recycle to use wit reason but ur basically sayin i can do all that and more in logic?

Kanye samples into the ASR-10 and chops the loop across the keyboard. You can do this all in logic by recording in you sample, flying into the ESX editor, and chopping accordingly.

Recycle may make it faster to split a loop but thats not how Ye does it. He just picks the pieces he likes and sequences with the MPC. I know people working with him on the new ish and thier all huge logic heads so he may be all logic now. Course maybe its all PT. But i know for sure its not reason thier using.

Dive into the EXS and your gonna be very supprised.

MH

.i also wanted to do songs like a kanye west does like redo old songs with their loops and all and thought i needed recycle to use wit reason but ur basically sayin i can do all that and more in logic?

Kanye samples into the ASR-10 and chops the loop across the keyboard. You can do this all in logic by recording in you sample, flying into the ESX editor, and chopping accordingly.

Recycle may make it faster to split a loop but thats not how Ye does it. He just picks the pieces he likes and sequences with the MPC. I know people working with him on the new ish and thier all huge logic heads so he may be all logic now. Course maybe its all PT. But i know for sure its not reason thier using.

Dive into the EXS and your gonna be very supprised.

MH

ok recycle is easier however does it offer professional level quality?

and i also heard its either PT or Logic...but yea the Ye and Dr Dre are my idols so i try to figure out what they do and use my own style

All Recycle can do is chop the sample. It cant trigger or do drums or anything. As for pref quality.. recycle sounds light years cleaner than the ASR-10, but Ye loves the gritt he gets from the ASR.

I personally DO NOT believe you will get "quality Dr. Dre" sounds out of reasons built in sound modules. Im am quite positive that you wont get a great sounding mix out of Reasons built in mixer. There may very well be ReFills for reason that sound better, but I havent heard them personally.. YMMV.

You may not be able to touch Dres quality mixing in logic either.. I mean hes at OceanWay with a nice SSL and killer monitoring.. aslo hes working with amazing live musos... You can get closer than you can with Reason thats for sure.

You can definitly use Recycle without Reason. REX files are easily importable into the EXS.

I would be interested to hear what dgm thinks that reason can do that logic cant. Other than opening Reasons sound modules of course.. haha

MH

You did good with both products. A lot of people start in Reason. Its cheap and easier and you can get good results. Just learn Logic and start using Reason in ReWire mode. Logic's audio engine and effects are higher quality and will make the channels you send from Reason sound that much better. But above all, have fun making music!

Cheers

I use Logic 8, Reason 4 and ReCycle. Rex loops are wonderfully flexible in Logic and ReCycle is the ticket to editing them, so get that, I think it's indispensible. Reason 4 is a lot of fun, and works with Logic under the ReWire protocol, although not as smoothly as one would hope. I don't HAVE to have Reason, but I do like it and find it useful. If I could only take one, it would be Logic. Don't kick yourself in the butt, it'll all be useful and you'll put together a monster system between Logic 8 and Reason 4. - Emile

My two cents...

I bought Reason 4.0 Before Logic also... Reason is great... but... if you're trying to do it all in Reason, it will sound like butthole. Reason sounds miserable if you try and make quality music inside of it. It's easy to use and it has great sounds for the most part...

KEEP your Reason, USE Logic. Rewire Reason into Logic. I still find myself using Reason once in awhile for Thor and some of the other stuff. Drum stuff isn't great IMO. But if you like using Reason, but like the professionalism and quality of Logic, I would call it an investment and just use them both. Do a bit more research and there are tons of websites that show how to rewire and take advantage of both programs.

• 2 weeks later...