How to do MIDI input channel filtering by tracks?

mcmaklin

I want to create instrument 1 that receives only on first MIDI channel (no at all channels)

Then instrument 2 that receives only on second MIDI channel.

I want to fiter channels on INPUT on each MIDI track not on output.

So first track receives ONLY on channel 1.

In Nuendo it is possible by MIDI input transformer - there is a preset called Channel Filtering - pass 01 - and it passes only 1st channel on this track. Any ideas?

Dear David - I am not sure it is the answer for my question. I know I can set each track to play on different midi channels. But I want to let LOGIC RECEIVE on seperete channels. I want to connect external sequencer to LOGIC and in this external sequencer create 5 external MIDI tracks, each one to send on different MIDI channels.

I will check it - maybe it is what I mean. Thank you!

• 3 years later...

Hi, does it work for Logic Express too?

I want to connect as MIDI input device two keyboards:

- a Roland D-70 that transmits on 4 different channels (1-4)

- an M-Audio Oxygen 61 on a fifth channel

I would like to use four instruments at the same time

My goal is use Logic for live sessions.

How can I do?

Thanks

paolo

Hi, I'm still not getting the result.

I have set the midi channels for each track, but still each of the two keyboards plays all tracks set to Record.

One keyboard is a master keyboard connected via USB port (M-Audio Oxygen).

The other one (Roland D-70) is connected via midi, using the Midi In of a Terratec Phase 26 USB, connected via USB to my Mac.

I even tried to work with the Environment Window, but did'n get any good result.

I tried to change sending channel on the Oxygen Keyboard, but nothing.

Where am I wrong?

thanks

• 1 year later...
I used a multichannel input - a GI-20 - and I did have to use the environment window and add a channel splitter (New > Channel Splitter) and map my device (by adding the Physical input New > Physical Input) and wiring them up to the instruments. I think this has always been like this in logic because I remember doing this on an older version.

Having said that, I have had to fiddle around with the environment more than I would like to. I would suggest that you split the channel to the software instruments then make sure that the OUTPUT of the software instruments is the same as the input - i.e. the same as the 'wire' channel you made in the environment and then put all of the outputs through the monitor and then to the sequencer whilst keeping the buses the same.

I did have to use the environment window and add a channel splitter (New > Channel Splitter) and map my device (by adding the Physical input New > Physical Input) and wiring them up to the instruments. I think this has always been like this in logic because I remember doing this on an older version.

You decided to go that way, but you did not have to do that. You can route incoming MIDI channels to various tracks without using the environment if you follow the guide I posted earlier.