Switching between soloed tracks during playback

chapito

HI

I hope I can explain this...

Is there a way to switch playback of soloed tracks on the fly?

or only hear playback of the highlighted track on the fly?

Kind of an A/B comparison of regions in real time but only hear the "active" track.

Is there a key command? all soloed with arrow up/down doesn't seem to work

Here's the layout...

track 1: vocal S

track 2: vocal A

track 3: vocal T

track 4: vocal B

During playback I'd like to use a key command to switch/toggle playback monitoring of each track (soloed) without pausing, dropping out, or hearing the other tracks.

Thanks

2.0 intel mac/Logic 7.2.3/MOTU Traveller

Thanks fader8

Actually, I was looking for something slightly different.

I feel stupid now that I found it...

I was looking for the "Toggle Solo Mode" button in the Transport.

Is there a way to reduce the delay in playback when switching from track to track?

(I get about 1.5 sec delay when switching tracks)

I apologize for the basic questions. I'm a recent long-time DP convert and I find the Logic "Books" a little vague. They seem to be more glossaries not manuals. (Sometimes I dont even know how to phrase a question to fit Logic terminology)

But anyway, thanks for the help

LOVE The Forum!

Edited by chapito

If I'm understanding you correctly, you just want to hold down the option key while clicking solo on the channelstrip.

Not in front of Logic right now, but I don't think that would solo toggle a track?

What I do is use the solo mode, then click the track header of the track I want solo-ed, then press the spacebar twice to stop/start playback.

Not as smooth as you would ideally dream of, but that's the best way I've found.

Is there a way to reduce the delay in playback when switching from track to track?

(I get about 1.5 sec delay when switching tracks)

Prefs-Audio-General tab, Track Mute/Solo, set to (Fast) Remote Channel Strips.

Not in front of Logic right now, but I don't think that would solo toggle a track?

Not toggle, but "exclusive-or" soloing, I think that's the right term . . .

Maybe I'm still not clear what chapito's asking!

fader8

Thanks for the soloed track help- I found it was the "Toggle Solo Mode" button in transport, sorry if I was a bit lost in my explanation.

Prefs-Audio-General tab, Track Mute/Solo, set to (Fast) Remote Channel Strips

i dont seem to have the same settings in pref/audio/general tab, I'm running LP7.2.3. Could I adjust the latency settings? or is that just for recording?

802115565_Picture1.png.b39572d9ffc5b7214137d973c7d3797b.png

My LP7.2.3 pref/audio/general tab

Edited by chapito

i dont seem to have the same settings in pref/audio/general tab, I'm running LP7.2.3. Could I adjust the latency settings? or is that just for recording?

Right, you'll need LP8 to have that option. Please add your system info to your signature.

Changing buffer settings won't help. If you want fast response, solo with the channelstrip, not the track.

If you aren't afraid of the Environment, you can set this up in seconds.

It is based on muting the four tracks and everytime you unmute one the other three mute. :P

Included for free is a master mute reset.

Thats cool!

How do I set that up? I'm game for the Enviroment, just unaware of it :oops:

Will switching in the Environment eliminate the delay during switching?

So here is the 'recipe' for the "Mute me timbers' trick. It works great and fast with no delay.

You can use the environment or an external controller to control mute on/off.

Also you can use the channel strip to mute/unmute individual channels so that 2 or more can play at a time.

4 faders (Button 6)

1 fader (Button 1)

1 Transformer (data byte 2 set to Reverse)

Cable the transformer output to each of the #6 mute button inputs.

Cable each of the #6 mute button outputs to the input of the transformer.

Cable each of then#6 mute button outputs to their respective track.

Cable the Reset Mute button outputs directly to the input of each track.

Here is the setting for each button #6.

The output for the mute reset button is also 9.

Have at it. 8)

Edit: here is a sample in LP7

1791551619_Picture7.png.6bf026ddc6c78d4f9b1f04b85231d009.png

621002797_Picture8.png.913516b303832546fc7d6c90ebabb610.png

Mute control.lso.zip

Edited by shivermetimbers

I don't know?

In this case, probly nothing.

In another case, It doesn't play nicely when I use it in the arrange window. Works fine in the mixer.

Also, what if I have a few tracks I want to have keep playing when I solo?

Solo safe mode?

I may want to use this neat trick to record via the bus for some different fx.

I didn't think about these kind of things until someone asks. There are many new things I am learning about Logic because people ask questions like this. There may be simple solutions, but adding in a new twist opens new doors.

Just another method and an introduction for another fellow Logic user to check out the Environment.

In my first few post after joining this forum, I stated I had no use for the environment. Technically, I still don't, but I am having fun learning about it.

Hell, I am using my old DX7 as a controller for just about every parameter in Logic. 2 switches, a Mod wheel, and a data entry slider lets me control every thing from record, play, mute, volume, pan, sends, FX and instrument inserts, channel/track selection, etc... http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/blah.gifhttp://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/blah.gifhttp://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/blah.gifhttp://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/blah.gif

Sorry...over caffinated, and sleep deprived........ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

George Leigh Mallory - Why climbing?

"The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this, 'What is the use of climbing Mount Everest ?' and my answer must at once be, 'It is no use'. There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron. We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food. It's no use.

So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means and what life is for."

-- George Leigh Mallory, 1922