logic express 8 - automation - corruption?

janeenurs

Hi - I've just managed to automate my first arrangement....in July. Let it sit a bit then came back to it recently to add another track, only to find what seems to be a corrupted arrangement... one of the tracks has dissapeared sound wise, though it's automation is still happening. And when I try and solo it another track is solo'd instead. Also the Ultrabeat drum sound changed.. on it's own!

I've tried looking at this with one on one tuition from local Apple Store, so far they too are at a loss as to what is causing this. They've tried re-loading the dissapeared track etc. I've also re-loaded Logic 8, this has not helped.

Any comments would be very welcome, does anyone have a similar problem/experience after automation??

Thanks.

Files can and do become corrupted sometimes, though that's not necessarily what's going on here.

If you look in the project folder of the song, there should be a "Project File Backups" folder with copies of the song that Logic saved automatically every X? minutes while you worked. See if an earlier version you can use doesn't have the corruption.

Otherwise, make a copy of the file to tear apart. Try deleting all the automation you put in. Try removing other stuff. Try duplicating the problem track (command-D) and then dragging the regions from the old track to the new -- with and without copying the automation.

Go through the song and unfreeze, mute/unmute, solo/unsolo everything. Check in the Mixer for anything soloed or muted there. Make sure the Solo button in the transport section is off. Logic will generally get weird if you had something soloed and then deleted that -- it may think something's still soloed.

Do you have anything complex going on like routing the track to an Aux -- you could well have something muting the sound somewhere.

You can try copying your tracks to a new song -- though that's a bit complicated.

Thank you for your detailed reply, really appreciate any help with this. At Apple we tried copying the tracks to a new song, into another version of Logic, the track still didn't play. However, I haven't tried some of the other ideas you suggest, like removing all the automation and searching for possible mutes etc. I sense it could well be down to something I unwittingly did, especially it being the first time I'd automated a song.

Will let you know how I get on.

Well - heres the update, forgive me if this is a bit garbled, try my best to be clear.... looked at all back-ups = none played the missing track (which incidentally is a sound effect of a helicopter - not a large file), even though it was still there. I then un-zipped a back-up file of a crashed file of the song, from way before I automated it. I tried re-loading the track (from the bin) into a fresh track in the song (excuse my lack of Logic terminology...!) and it played! Even though the original in the song didn't - I then copied it and tried to do the same into the more up to date version (which I'd removed automation from by now) - it won't play in this version!!! When I saved the crashed version I kept getting an error message saying Result Code 48, File = 2-64 exists (this being the helicopter file in question). Thankfully when I saved it having reloaded it the reloaded track still played after opening again.

On the automated version - I took off all automation - to no avail. The track is still not playing within the song, and when I solo it another track plays (vocal 3 - this incidentally in the mixer area has a red line through it's solo button when not on - could this be a clue....?)

I will keep trying to unravel it but if any of the above makes any sense to you please let me know? Thanks.

The strangest thing is I have a copy of the song after automation with the helicopter track playing fine and the Ultrabeat sounds that I chose on there too... why has it done this now? Ultrabeat sounds seem to change at random I'm noticing, different on the different backups I've been opening....

Thanks again. Any help with this puzzling situation appreciated.

I'm afraid you've pretty much lost me with the details there.

I wouldn't use a file that OSX "recovers" in the trash after a crash (if that's what you mean) -- likely to be corrupted.

When you say the silent track "plays" -- is the meter for that track's channel strip moving?

Is there an audio file for the helicopter sound in the Audio Files folder in your project folder?

Have you tried creating a new track in your song, dragging the audio region there (or the audio file directly from the Desktop), and then copying/pasting the automation in from the old track?

Have you tried creating an entirely new song, and copying the helicopter audio and automation over to a track there?

IAs I tried (unsuccesfully!) to explain in previous post, I finally found a helicopter audio file in the bin of the crashed track that did play (sound wise as well as in the channel strip) - (even though the actual track that was in the arrangement did not have audio, though did register on the channel strip... ) this was the first helicopter track that I'd found that actually played audio, having followed your advice of trying to look through all previous back-ups.

But equally, though it does actually play in the crashed original track, it does not play in the more up to date automated version (despite removing automation etc)... which baffles me.

Do you have any comment please about the solo button with a red cross through it?

Thanks again.

Do you have any comment please about the solo button with a red cross through it?

That is called Solo Safe -- read from p. 550 in the manual.

You should have a Prelisten channel and a Click channel in the Mixer when the All button at the top of the mixer is on (blue). Those two and only those two channels should have the Solo Safe red line.

If any other channels have the red line, Control-click on them to turn Solo Safe off.

If you deleted your Prelisten channel at some point, this will be causing big problems for you.

Copy the helicopter audio file from the Audio folder in the Logic project folder to the Mac desktop. Open it in some other audio app (Quicktime, iTunes, Soundtrack Pro) to make sure it plays.

Create a totally fresh new Logic project, with its own new project folder. Drag the helicopter audio into the timeline.

Does that play?

Now open the defective Logic song (choose to keep the new song open as well), reveal the automation track, hold down Shift and drag over all the automation points to select them. Do Command-c to copy. Switch to your new song, reveal the automation for the helicopter track, and do Command-v to paste the automation in.

Does that play?

Hi, thanks for your suggestions... think I'm making some progress -

Copy the helicopter audio file from the Audio folder in the Logic project folder to the Mac desktop. Open it in some other audio app (Quicktime, iTunes, Soundtrack Pro) to make sure it plays. This done

Create a totally fresh new Logic project, with its own new project folder. Drag the helicopter audio into the timeline.

Does that play? Yes

Now open the defective Logic song (choose to keep the new song open as well), reveal the automation track, hold down Shift and drag over all the automation points to select them. Do Command-c to copy. Switch to your new song, reveal the automation for the helicopter track, and do Command-v to paste the automation in. Had some difficulty with the copying of automation, but think I managed to in the end.. and it worked!

What I also discovered is, I looked at the helicopter track in the faulty Logic song in the Sample Editor - it plays in there (when I hit the Speaker button - and it is green) it drowns out the sound of the rest of the track, and doesn't have the automation on it.... some of these factors may be standard, still a novice in Logic....

I then tried to copy across the automated track from the faulty track into the new song, next to the helicopter track that I'd copied from desk-top and re-automated, it doesn't play.

This feels like progress, though still don't know what I did wrong/went wrong on the faulty track.

Thanks very much for your help, my confidence is being restored in automating and doing more work on Logic. However, in light of the above, any further feedback would be welcome. I'd like to try and find out what caused this if possible... so as to avoid any mishaps in future....

:D

Logic songs do get corrupted unfortunately.

Even with the auto backup feature, it's a good idea to work on a series of song files in your project folder.

Like when you've done something important, save that version (Whatever.logic). Copy the file in the project folder and name it Whatever2.logic. Then when you next you do something you really wouldn't want to lose, save, copy, start working on Whatever3.logic. And so on.