Matrix: change many notes to one note?

Rufuss Sewell

Hi

Select all the note events

Open the Event List

Hold down SHIFT OPTION while you adjust the pitch of one of the events... sets all to the same value.

(Also works for length, velocity and the like)

HTH

CCT

I always forget that one. :D

I usually just have a preset in my transform window to do that.

I set it to fix the notes on say, c1. Real Easy.

Just thought I'd mention it.

HAve a good one. :D

Not sure exactly what you're describing, but Audio to Score will only work accurately for audio with very clear, single melody lines.

No, I've used audio to score for percussion. Works great for getting a groove captured. But yes, it can throw notes all over the place, understandably. The Transform Window is your friend.

Ah - The Event list tip is awesome! I'll use that for a ton of things.

Inquiry - Audio to Score works great on drums. Been doing it for years.

ChicoSatis and Fader 8 - You mentioned to use the transform window... which I use all the time. I just don't see any way to fix the notes. How specifically do you accomplish this with the transform window?

The Logic 8 manual doesn't seem to have more than the basic info about the transform functions. Maybe an older manual gets into it more?!?

Another solution if you want to quickly make all notes have the same pitch and velocity:

1) Double-click the "In" button so the little MIDI connector icon is black inside.

2) Select all the notes (Command-A)

3) Using your MIDI keyboard, or the Caps Lock keyboard, play a note of the desired pitch and velocity

All selected notes will have the pitch and velocity of the last note you play.

547640292_LogicProScreenSnapz001.jpg.7ab89f3f4b6d0b13559fd771a6d7e99d.jpg

Catching the rhythm works great if you strip silence first. Then edit to make sure there are only the hits you want detected. Then make sure "search zero crossing" is disabled.

Any more info on where I can learn about the transform function? There seems to be lots of parameters with lots of options like Range Div and Flip. Status and Subposition are conditions? I just don't get it. And as far as I can tell the manual says nothing about any of these options.

Catching the rhythm works great if you strip silence first. Then edit to make sure there are only the hits you want detected. Then make sure "search zero crossing" is disabled.

Any more info on where I can learn about the transform function? There seems to be lots of parameters with lots of options like Range Div and Flip. Status and Subposition are conditions? I just don't get it. And as far as I can tell the manual says nothing about any of these options.

Thanks for the tips. Transform is notorious difficult to figure out and the manual doesn't help. Even after you figure something out, it just doesn't make sense why they'd do it that way.

The easiest way to learn the Transform is to study the window itself. All the functions are self explanatory, but are also explained in painful detail on page 476 of the manual. Create a new empty parameter set and play around with a MIDI region.

The top row of parameters selects the events you want to do something with. Think of this as the "IF" statement.

The bottom row determines what will be done to the selection, if anything. Think of this as the "THEN" statement.

Choosing "Select Only" will only perform the top row functions. allowing you to do something manually like dragging those notes in the piano roll.

Choosing "Operate Only" will ignore the top row and and perform the operation on, for example, notes that you've manually selected in the piano roll.

Of course, "Select and Operate" gives you both.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder how you survived without it!

A REALLY good tutorial on it can be found in MacProVideo's Steve Horelicks' Master class. It helped me understand the transform window MUCH better. He breaks it down so that it makes a lot of sense. Like Fader said, it is self explanatory but it always helps to see some visuals too.

HAve a good one. :D

Self-explanatory to someone from outer space. Painful detail on page 476... not.

Note there's some really important thing about whether you've got the region selected in the Arrange vs notes selected in the Piano Editor that will make all the difference as to whether any effect at all occurs -- but I can't remember the details of what you have to do.

• 2 years later...