Buget PreAmps for Guitar miking

Hi all,

After acquiring an Orange Tiny Terror amp with a 1x12 cab, which sounds good, I put the cab in a closet, miked it, and tried without success to capture a decent signal with either a condenser or dynamic mic. One immediate observation was that my Audio Interface (Phonic Firefly 302 plus) could not handle the hotter signal as it could when I'd used a little Crate practice amp and the same mics. The input from the Orange rig (set to 7 watts) needed to be trimmed to avoid clipping, and to such a degree that the interface mic gain dial was set a hair above the off mark; and yet, even though Logic's channel meters did not show clipping, the captured signal contained intermittent clipping, as well as an overall lame sound quality that is wholly unworthy of the amp and guitar being used.

It seems that I need a better audio interface or a preamp. Due to limited funds, I've decided that I'd prefer the preamp, as that will continue to have use after an eventual interface trade-up. I wonder if any of you might have helpful opinions on the two, budget-conscious preamps I've attached: Samson C-Valve and the Art Tube Pac (Model 113), or perhaps others in the $100-150 price range.

Best,

MT

1978665948_art_tubepac-model131_SamsonCvalve.jpg.5b7c1ebf36393bd8340c7ca9d667785d.jpg

Thx to you: bmdaugherty.

I'm a little embarrassed; I should know these things but I probably spend too much time trying to write, sing, play guitar, hold on to family and my day job! Anyway, thanks again, I'm off to their site right now!

Best,

MT