Partition audio/samples drive or not?

armenjc

I'm in the process of installing a lot of software to use with Logic 8 - it's all sound library stuff (EWSO Gold, QL Pianos, Storm Drum, etc). I'm spreading out the samples across my internal hard drives (three 1TB; one 320gb. System drive is one of the 1TB drives). I read that my system will run more efficiently if I do this.

I'm wondering about partitioning my drives. Is there a pro or con to partitioning my 1TB drives? I'm just wondering if that's necessary or not.

My system:

2.8 eight-core, 10 GB RAM Mac OS X (10.5.4) Logic 8

Drives: Three 1TB; one 320gb (system drive is one of the 1TB drives)

Thanks!

Armen

Using the 1TB as your system drive is probably overkill, although it can't hurt. But unless you have tons of apps installed, a 320GB as a system drive would be my first choice.

I wouldn't partition drives. With faster drives nowadays, the only time I'll use partitioning is for organization, and I find it easier and more flexible to organize my drives without partitions.

I'm using a 2.8 eight core, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.5.5 and 4 drives, 320GB system drive, one 750 GB for my sound libraries, one 1TB for my projects, and a 4th drive that I swap as needed (right now it's a smaller older drive from which I needed to pull some data).

Here's what I did; it seems to be working well:

Model: ........................... MacPro3,1 2008

Processor: .......................Dual Quad-Core Xeon

Processor Speed: ..............2.8GHz x 8

Memory: .........................16GB 800Mhz DDR-2 FB DIMM

Graphics card: ................. Ati Radeon HD 3870 512Mb Ram

Audio card: ......................Apogee Duet Firewire

Hard drive 1: ................... WDC WD3000HLFS 300GB VelociRaptor for OSX

Hard drive 1 speed: ...........10,000 RPM

Internal or external: ..........Internal

Hard drive 2,3,and4 ..........Samsung F1 Spinpoint 750GB all dedicated for samples

Hard drive 2,3,and4 speed: 7500 RPM

Internal or external: ..........All Internal

Hard drive 5: ................... Samsung F1 Spinpoint 750GB for WXP Pro 32-bit

Hard drive 5 speed: ...........7500 RPM

Internal or external:.......... Internal w/aftermarket tray in 2nd optical bay

Hard drive 6: WDC ????? ....Firewire 300GB for Time Machine

Hard drive 6 speed: .......... 7500 RPM

Internal or external: ......... External Firewire400

Sequencer:....................... Logic Studio 8

OS:................................. OSX Leopard 10.5.5

PLAY version: .................. 1.0.046

Audio settings:................. 44100 Hz Buffer 256 sample rate

Streaming settings:........... Engine level 1

Overload enabled: .............Yes 80%

Do you use FX Teleport, V-Stack etc. and how: No

Using the 1TB as your system drive is probably overkill...

I have about 400+ GB in music files that I keep on iTunes (lots of uncompressed compositions of mine and other composers). I use iTunes to catagorize all the music I compose. I figured I'll keep them on my system drive so they won't take up space on my internal drives that I use as a destination for Logic recordings and sample libraries.

I guess my real question was if this computer handles streaming samples from partition #1 and partition #2 simultaneously more efficiently than streaming the same samples off of must one drive.

I guess my real question was if this computer handles streaming samples from partition #1 and partition #2 simultaneously more efficiently than streaming the same samples off of must one drive.

No, you won't gain anything by partitioning.

And with a large iTunes library like that, then yes, a 1TB system drive does make sense after all.

The speed of large streams of data exceeding the HD's cache size is limited by the mechanical limits of the drive, i.e. how fast the disc surfaces pass the read/write heads. If the HD's cache can be successfully used, there is still a limit by the interface.

Partitioning can't addess any of these limits, as there is no more than one interface and one mechanical set; these things are being shared by all partitions on a drive.

Partitioning is just a matter of organization and management.