help installing an .exs instrument

michael2

sorry if this is a no brainer newbie question, but i'm pretty new to Logic (I love it).

i have been trying to install an .exs instrument, but have been having no luck. i put the .exs file in:

HD > Home > Library > Application Support > Logic > Sampler Instruments

and then i put the .aiff files in the samples folder that i made for all of the exs24 instruments I made. when i try to open it in exs24, the name of the instrument shows up, but Logic is unable to find the samples. it doesn't give me the option of directing it to the folder, just a pop up that asks if i want to search again.

thanks for any help.

Logic depends on Spotlight indexing to find things -- at least when they're off somewhere unexpected. Spotlight probably hasn't indexed your new samples yet.

If you put the samples (or copies of them, or maybe aliases of them) in a folder with the .exs instrument file in:

HD > Home > Library > Application Support > Logic > Sampler Instruments

it should find them right away.

It might also work if you just put your whole general sample folder in:

HD > Home > Library > Application Support > Logic

Or you can force Spotlight to reindex -- a bit complex to explain so ask if you want to do that.

okay, so i moved everything as suggested. all of my .exs instruments work well, with the exception of the one that was giving me problems in the first place. i can just take the samples and make a new instrument myself, but the "why doesn't it work" thing is killing me. do you guys think there is a chance that maybe the .exs instrument i downloaded was just corrupt and that's why it's the only one in my collection that doesn't work? thanks.

but the "why doesn't it work" thing is killing me

Well with Logic, then tell someone you like to take out a big life insurance policy on you.

a chance that maybe the .exs instrument i downloaded was just corrupt and that's why it's the only one in my collection that doesn't work? thanks.

If the only .exs not working is one you downloaded, that's seems very likely (and more so if downloaded not wrapped in a .zip archive).

But the other thing is that that .exs will be looking for the samples in the location of the samples on the last computer that opened it -- so it still might be an indexing thing.

You can actually open an EXS instrument in a text editor and (among a bunch of jibberish) see the file paths for the samples which might be informative.

but the "why doesn't it work" thing is killing me

Well with Logic, then tell someone you like to take out a big life insurance policy on you.

a chance that maybe the .exs instrument i downloaded was just corrupt and that's why it's the only one in my collection that doesn't work? thanks.

If the only .exs not working is one you downloaded, that's seems very likely (and more so if downloaded not wrapped in a .zip archive).

But the other thing is that that .exs will be looking for the samples in the location of the samples on the last computer that opened it -- so it still might be an indexing thing.

You can actually open an EXS instrument in a text editor and (among a bunch of jibberish) see the file paths for the samples which might be informative.

thanks, that was interesting when i opened the file with text edit. i could see the path that whoever made it used in their computer (amongst a bunch of jibberish). i am just going to save the audio files and reload as a new instrument. the only reason i have been so interested is i am trying to learn logic better than the other programs i have used (the why's and how's that is). thanks again. gotta go get that life insurance policy now.