Become a Professional Beginner!

ski

'Zactly.

And I can tell you from personal experience that when I was studying bassoon this past summer, I sounded like a professional beginner with my very first note! And being summer, with the windows open in the house, I'm sure my neighbors must have been thinking, "my word, if he doesn't sound like quite the professional beginner!"

They still talk to me though.

I don't know about you guys, but when I read this part:

features include a high C key, covered wing joint 3rd finger hole with plateau key, left hand whisper key connected to the low E key, automatic G-ring key, F/G# roller keys, F#/G# trill key. Metal tubes are extended into the bore in the finger holes of the wing and boot joints to prevent water from entering the tone holes.

I just got all quivery in my lower parts! :wink:

Is a professional beginner:

- someone who's going to be a professional real soon, but is just beginning?

- someone who made a professional career of being a beginner?

Theses are the big questions. But this is only the beginning of the beginning. The advanced beginner has to go to India, live in an ashram and eat nothing but milk and oranges for a year. If they're sufficiently dedicated, they'll give up their ego-driven notions of professionalism altogether. But even that may not be enough to prevent the water from entering the tone holes.

Personally, I can't stop thinking about it myself. I may have to start thinking about something eles...... like Kate Winslet ..... playing a bassoon..... AAARRRRGGG!! Stuck in the circle again. The monkey mind never rests.

The advanced beginner has to go to India, live in an ashram and eat nothing but milk and oranges for a year. If they're sufficiently dedicated, they'll give up their ego-driven notions of professionalism altogether..

I went to an ashram in India to learn to be humble. I did really, really well!! They told me they'd never seen someone become so humble in so little time. I am now convinced I am the most humble person in the whole world.

I am at risk of disappointing you, dear friends, by having to inform you of two things: first, that child imposter hasn't quite my prowess to properly inflate and thus cause to explode that party balloon (let alone have it merely sail across the cafeteria). If he had any talent at all he'd be able to play the first 12 measures of the Hummel Bassoon Concerto and twist that thing into a dachshund. But second, and most importantly, I hold out no hope for him because his technique is all wrong. Here is an illustration of the proper technique.

• 3 weeks later...