Need to upgrade my recording equipment

I've always just quadtracked an old school pod 2.0 into logic and managed to get a half decent sound out of it. I think though it's time to upgrade my guitar tone. I've looked into getting the Pod XT rack or even just a bog-standard Pod X3 but not sure I really want to go with the POD tones again.

I've tried recording my mesa triple rectum-fryer but havent really been able to get a decent tone out of it which is a real shame (obviously due to my amateur amp recording skills). I have heard about the rectifier pre-amp and was wondering if anyone knows if they're any good?

Also, Steven Slate drums...I'm pretty sure I'll have to go for those, they sound amazing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dude...the pun made my night. Thanx :lol: Like I posted on a new thread, the problem I have with Line 6 gear is they all sound great when practicing or monitoring, but I've yet to lay a decent overdrive model track that is even close to being usable in Logic using Pods or Tone Port. Clean guitar and vocals tend to work out great, though. Still my stuff gets kinda heavy and the chunky models I choose just won't take so well despite all the tweeking intuition I can come up with. TOO MUDDY!!! Much as I hate to admit it, could be the answer is a good affordable firewire interface and just use the Gear Box Gold plug-in if your stuck on Line 6 models. And my problem is...I am. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot for your reply. What exactly do firewire's do? I've been suggested this in the past by a friend of mine. I'm hoping to start getting good at recording from my real amp and mic it up in another room, run a cable under my door into the PC where I'll be playing/recording. I just don't have much experience with it, whereas with the pod, its straight in there whenever you have an idea to put down. My mate has a POD XT rack and (it may be my virgin ears) but he has a damn nice tone out of it. I had play with this gear box thing everyone's harping on about...Couldn't find a decent tone out of it.

The Pod XT and X3 have the same engine, which is quite different from the original Pod and Pod 2.0. I'd suggest trying one out - you can always copy your friend's settings if you like the sounds.

If you don't like your amp's tone when miked, it likely has to do with the room you're recording in. Try recording it in different physical locations, and you might be amazed at the different sounds out of one amp.