What Midi Controller? What Sound Card? What Do i need?

Hi All

I am going to purchase a mac pro with Logic Studio, Can someone please advise me on the best sound card/midi controller/audio interface etc to buy that works flawlessly with Logic Pro/Mac Pro.

i will be using the midi controller to play back basslines/melodies etc

Audio - will be recording Vocals etc (bedroom studio)

I have looked into sound-cards etc and would prefer if it was internal but i need help so please suggest.

Thanks all and i looks forward to your help.

Cheers

RepzDJ

Hi All

I am going to purchase a mac pro with Logic Studio, Can someone please advise me on the best sound card/midi controller/audio interface etc to buy that works flawlessly with Logic Pro/Mac Pro.

This is often considered the best:

http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/ada8xr/ada8xr_home.php

But some folks like these too:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/symphony.php

I love it! :P You guys always respond to the "what is the best" questions with the absolutely literal answer -- sarcasm through complete straight talk. Nice.

To our OP: I'm assuming since you mention that you're running a "bedroom studio", that these multiple-thousand-dollar suggestions our esteemed colleague has offered up here might be a bit of overkill for you. There are all kinds of great options out there. I am currently using an Alesis iO/26 to good effect in a small project studio environment. Other options vary anywhere from about $400 to $1000 to $2000 to the ones Fader8 mentioned. Maybe look into Apogee's "Duet" or "Ensemble". Or MOTU's "Ultralight". I'm not quite sure what to say about internal sound cards, as everyone I know who works with Logic has an external interface, even if they work with a Mac Pro.

Good luck. :)

Thanks -

I am on a budget so cheap as really (will need sound card/ midi controller/)

Any more ideas, will check out the ones you have suggested and check the prices out on them.

I am think £300 for soundcard £200 for controller.. no more then that credit crunch and all!

Thanks for that

i have looked briefly into the Alesis and it as mixed reviews, i am feeling the controller tho looks nice and rated well in music tech magazine, the Ultralite looks to be a good bet but is £399, is it worth this money?

Do both work lovely with logic 8 & reason 3/4 as these are the two programs i plan to buy?

once again thanks for your help, its much appreciated.

Repz

There's really nothing to fault with the multimix line. Ultralite is great, i've got one and 399 pounds is definently a good price, but if you're on a limited budget the multimix leaves room for more fun stuff to be bought. You need way more than just a controller and interface.

A little warning though, alot of people have had issues with their ultralite and i've certainly experienced a few random breakdowns.

Axiom works good with 99% of the software availibe and Multimix/Ultralite can't really be utilized in Reason but sure, the output works and latency isn't a problem.

Everything mentioned is good so to suggest something else would just have you not really being satisfied with what you end up buying because youre just thinking "what if i had that other thing.." and that still happens to me.

If you're going to record you need decent mics. Now, that doesn't neccesarily mean expensive because there's decent mics in any price range. What are you looking at monitor-wise? If you're starting out with low grade monitors you're going to drive yourself crazy mixing because even if it sounds good on those speakers it doesn't mean it's going to sound anything remotely like that on other systems.

I already own a Shure Mic and Sprit absolute monitors (although the speakers are over 4 years old hopefully they will be fine.. what do you think?)

I have a behringer eurodesk (as above is over 4 years old now)

I have also a Roland sound module "5080" which i plan to try and connect to Logic Pro 8 and the above mentioned (soundcard/controller)

Basically have an old studio.. bought loads of second hand bits and so on, but what to get the core of the studio sorted (Mac Pro/soundcard/logic pro)

Also what are your thoughts on reason, can i hook up to Logic easy?

Long message sorry got carried away!

What music do you produce btw?