do you use a compressor on the main output?

Hi guys, i wanted to hear how many of you mix to a compressor on your master output, when tyou make music, and how many dont!!!

I have heard both for and against, but could be great to hear from people in here......

Which compressors, settings etc etc....................................

Sometimes it's useful to add that last bit of glue. Put everything into the same package.

either...

I'll slap on one doing some really, really, really, light 10:1 with slowest attack/fastest release to start.

or...

I'll do like a 2:1 with the same settings. Either way I've got the needle barely moving and adjust to taste. The 2:1 works really nice, I find, with the SSL G Master Buss Compressor plug-in if anyone uses it.

Commonly SSL G384 (Quad) compressor, Alan Smart C2 (which is basically the same thing), or Neve 2254. My favourite is the API 2500, but I rarely mix anywhere where one is available. I'm going to buy one in a couple months when my own rig makes the leap to full mix capability. I love the punch those things bring to some stuff.

I rarely compress a full mix really hard, tho, maybe 3dB at very most (which means you won't even see the meters move much on any of those units). I'll often compress a 'drums' or 'rhythm' (eg. bass drum, snare, bass, keys, rhythm guitar) track when I want to get some pumping in the mix, rather than pumping the 2 bus. I don't like what bus compressors do to some elements of a mix, like the lead vocal, reverbs, 'space' in the drum overheads, etc.

I tend to see 2 bus compression as the job of the mastering engineer, but that's more of a personal aesthetic than an industry standard.

When making electronic music (ie, dance music, not dynamic band arrangements) I always slap a compressor on the output, especially if i'm going to try a song out in a livegig.

While it's definently not the best hardware compressor unit i have I love the sound of the 3630. Alesis really outdid themselves on this one and it basically gave french house the sound it has. I just smack it up and let it take care of the eq shaping too, it's great.