Time stretching from Cubase to Logic

KeesvB

Hi,

I have recently gone from Cubase SX3 to Logic Pro 8 and now Im kinda stuck while trying to time-stretch a sample.

I did the exact same thing in Cubase and it used to work just fine but now I cannot find the feature in LP8 to help me out. I have sampled a part of a Queen song (just for fun) and I have set it to the original BPM (113) and it loops just fine.

However, what I used to do in Cubase was that I set the drums(of the sample) exactly at the locators of the project. So for instance the sample starts at 4 and at every beat I dragged the drum to the exact spot on the locator(so in this case 4, 5, 6 and 7) making the loop very exact (tempo wise). There was a feature in Cubase that allowed me to drag a location of the sample somewhere else and it would just stretch the rest of the sample. This way I could make easily make the sample follow the beat in a perfect way.

How do I do this in LP8? I have included an image to this post to explain what I want. I want to drag the part I have circled red to the locator point where the arrow is. I hope anyone can help me out.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2196wau.jpg

Hello KeesvB

Welcome to the forum. :D

Sorry to bring you bad news – but you have already found one of the major omissions in Logic. Cubase has had Audio Warp since SX3 (IIRC) and ProTools has had Elastic Audio since v7.4 but Logic does not have anything approaching this behaviour.

No doubt others will post various “workarounds” but they will be messy. In the end Logic has no audio warping or offline process history.

Logic has lots of other very good things compared to Cubase, but this isn’t it. :cry:

OK, thank you for your reply.

I'm really bummed that this is not possible in LP8 :-(

Do you know of a stand-alone application that I could install? Or plug-in or whatsoever? Because I have thrown my PC out of the window so I have no acces to CUbase anymore....

Also looking for a solution to this... any good plugin etc?

I know there's beat mapping but that's not what I want. I also know you can do something using apple loops but not sure how that works if you're trying to "fix" an old song (say a 60s record) that you want to sample for a standard four to the floor dance track.

Also looking for a solution to this... any good plugin etc?

I know there's beat mapping but that's not what I want. I also know you can do something using apple loops but not sure how that works if you're trying to "fix" an old song (say a 60s record) that you want to sample for a standard four to the floor dance track.

I agree – I’ve never really found any use for beat mapping – but that’s because I rarely record performances where I want to keep the “groove”.

Apple Loops won’t help this particular problem either.

I like Melodyne's plug for this. To me, much better sounding than Pro Tools elastic audio or Vocalign.

As fader8 said, Melodyne is extremely good at this – although fiddly to use (have to “play” the audio into Melodyne first so that it can be processed, have to remember to specify where the audio will be stored). If you still have Cubase 4, then possibly continue to use it for this kind of work and then export the finished audio into Logic? Again, far from perfect. :roll:

Until (or IF) Logic ever supports Elastic audio / Audio Warp then these work arounds are all we have.

There are other ways to use melodyne. I find melo rather frustrating in plugin form and really prefer to use it stand alone. I do a "save region as new audio file" to create a copy for use in melo. Then I either use it in rewire mode and place the regions I want to edit into melo or I use it as an external editor and edit the part solo, then export it back to lp8.

I think I'll hold off on buying anything else for now. I don't know which melodyne product would be most suitable. I have more important things to spend my money on to get a bit of a production setup together.

An interesting side note - I had a topic on apple support discussion forums about this which got deleted due to it being of a speculative nature! I guess we'll have to see if a future update of logic adds something like this.