How to tune a note to a specific frequency

hotcheese

Hi

If I want to play a note on a soft synth at a specific non western standard frequency, or have a sample I want to tune to the same frequency, does Logic provide any means by which I can achieve this?

As a specific concrete example lets say I want to play a pitch at 528 Hz.

Thanks

Hi

I'd like to experiment composing something using a non standard scale/ notes.

At frequencies 285, 396, 417, 528, 639, 741, 582 Hz.

I have several soft synths and so ideally I'd like to be able to hit some keys on a midi keyboard (or even better a midi guitar) and that to trigger notes in the soft synth to be played at these frequences.

To be able to do this might depend upon the soft synth itself (if anybody knows of synths allowing this could you let me know please).

So iif its not possible, is it therefore possible to i.e. record a midi note at C6 and then during playback tune it up to 528 Hz for example.

If I manage to succeed with the above, if I then additionally have an audio sample of a particular note, lets say C6 again, is it possible to turn up this one sample so that it fits in with the rest of the composition - so that I'm pitch shifting the track containing the sample and not the other tracks.

Thanks

To be able to do this might depend upon the soft synth itself (if anybody knows of synths allowing this could you let me know please).

So iif its not possible, is it therefore possible to i.e. record a midi note at C6 and then during playback tune it up to 528 Hz for example.

When you configure the "User" tuning settings, this affects all Logic's built in instruments, (except Ultrabeat). Once you determine how much the frequency you need deviates from the frequency of standard tempered notes, then you need to do the math to convert that difference to cents. In the User settings, enter that amount to offset that note.

Be mindful that the manual has a mistake and says the adjustment is semitones, but trust me, it's cents. +/-99.9 cents is the adjustment range for each note.

So, you've got a bit of math to do.

3rd party soft synths that support microtuning, off the top of my head, Cameleon 5000. I'm sure there are more.

I didn't do the calculations myself, but I have the following information:

396 Hz = G5 + 17.6 cts

417 Hz = G#5 + 7 cts

528 Hz = C6 + 15.6 cts

639 Hz = D#6 + 46 cts

741 Hz = F#6 + 2.4 cts

852 Hz = G#6 + 44 ct

As each of these is a differing cent value from a standard note, does that mean there is no solution I can apply from Logic and will have to look further into soft synth capabilities? Seeing as I presume if I set the user tuning to +15.6 it'll be okey for one nut not for all the others.

Thanks for your help.

Ah, I have Absynth, and looking at its manual it seems its possible to turn using Hz..

Ah, indeed it does. Just playing with it now. Some very nice tuning options there.

I think you can get there with Logic's User tuning, but based on what you've provided, you'd need to give us a few more octaves of data.