Is There A Method/Plugin To Automatically Set Automation?

OK, I have a singer who has a huge dynamic range which means whenever I mix, unless I want to compress the hell out of her vocals, I need to do some serious volume automation to keep everything under control. I've tried getting her to move away from the mic for certain notes, but although she's a great singer, she's not musical so that route is like banging my head against a wall.

What I'm wondering is if there is a method or plugin whereby I can tell Logic to automatically set the automation to keep the volume at a particular dB level as a starting point? It would save an awful lot of time when I'm mixing.

Problem is, although I am using a compressor, the difference in volume between different sections is huge - we're talking 15dB plus (she's got an immensely powerful voice and is really expressive which is a good thing IMO) - and that leaves the resulting vocal sounding awful if I compress it that much.

What I'm after is a 50/50 mix where I compress to some extent, and use volume automation for the rest, so I don't lose the "expressiveness". Hope that makes sense.

EDIT - I've added a small example. How would people here deal with this kind of vocal?

example.zip

Problem is, although I am using a compressor, the difference in volume between different sections is huge - we're talking 15dB plus (she's got an immensely powerful voice and is really expressive which is a good thing IMO) - and that leaves the resulting vocal sounding awful if I compress it that much.

What I'm after is a 50/50 mix where I compress to some extent, and use volume automation for the rest, so I don't lose the "expressiveness". Hope that makes sense.

It makes sense, but you also need limiters and expanders with the compressor.

You'll retain the dynamics without the volume swings.

I have to run out for a while, but it can easily be done.

1. Use a 'flatter' mic. SM-7 and RE-20 deal well with high volumes, flattening out the performance.

2. Use 2 of the same mic, with a difference in gain on the 2 channels. Track both, and then comp a 'levelled' pass out of the 2.

3. Ride the level on the preamp when tracking.

4. Use a compressor or limiter (or both) when tracking.

5. Some or all of the above, to taste...

For this particular part (I dont' know how it will sound in the rest of the mix), I think it sounds good between 3-6 db gain reduction with a compressor. I don't think automation is necessary to reign in the dynamics.

I would put it through a compressor with a very low ratio. Between 1.2 and max 1.4. And bring the threshold down to where it sounds a little flatter, but doesn't smash the crap out of it.

Hope that helps

Sorry for hijacking,

I also face this problem as this is my first time do mastering.

I am thinking of balancing the vocals track using volume level.

It is harder than using plug in under dynamics,right?

But I don't really understand the parameter, evening using the Logic Studio big back book.

Beside easy controlling the dynamics of vocal.

Is there anything I can do if the vocal track have saturation recorded.

Meaning see red in the volume level.

Sorry for some super noobs question.

Have a nice day,

kongwee

I put a MULTIPRESSOR on (along with other things) and reduced frequencies around the 500hz and the 2.5/3.5Khz range.

There is too much noise present in the vocal track and it becomes evident the more the track is processed.

Something along the lines of the multipressor should help and I had some fun trying out Pitch correction and some vibrato.

Example1.zip

422536734_Picture8.png.22f0fd8c173beb64b71d24e89889ae03.png

Thanks for the help, that makes a huge difference to the problem. Much appreciated.

As for the noise, yes well, a lot of that's going to be ambient noise as I record in my bedroom in a 100 year old house with a road outside. Once I'm happy with the take, I've edited it and got a decent sounding rough mix, I usually put it though iZotope's RX De-noiser which works wonders.