Delay between the screen waveform and hearing the audio?

Larry Mal

I'm pretty perplexed why I hear things a bit after the scroll goes over the waveform. It seems to be about half a second or so. I have the buffer set to 32, and software monitoring set to on. I am monitoring through a Focusrite Saphire Pro 10 i/o which could also be the problem, but I don't see anything that would make it be so, but then again, when I load a project in Digital Performer (5.13) I don't get this.

I looked at the scrolling options, and they didn't seem to help. I do not have the safety buffer on. I have turned the Universal Track Mode on and off and it seems to make no difference. The Process Buffer Range is set to "Large". It really isn't a big deal, I'm working around it, but it must be something I have set wrong.

In the picture, you can see where the waveform is and the cursor is where it actually starts playing back, more or less. Any ideas? Thanks, L

1321669562_Picture1.png.48f198622708527452a07a7e36cb6dc1.png

Yeah, I have several high CPU inducing plug ins- or so I'm assuming, I am trying out the new T-Racks 3. That's why I had the buffer on at 1024 at first, for mixing, I thought that would handle it. Then I went down the spectrum, to 32, and still much the same...

But what is the PDC you refer to?

Yeah, I have several high CPU inducing plug ins-

Latency is the key word here, not CPU as such.

or so I'm assuming, I am trying out the new T-Racks 3. That's why I had the buffer on at 1024 at first, for mixing, I thought that would handle it. Then I went down the spectrum, to 32, and still much the same...

Buffer size 256 or 128 will be fine. Or lower if your computer can handle it.

PDC = Plug-in Delay Compensation.

So if you're using plug-ins with lots of latency and you're compensating (check your audio preferences) this could be your answer.

Think twice before mixing with T-Racks or similar on. It's usually not good for your mixes or the developing of your mixing skills.

I believe that will be the setting I was looking for- I'll try it in a bit, and thanks for the insight.

But I'm curious, why do you say this about T-Racks? I'm just using it as an alternative EQ, and one of the compressors as an over the top radio voice effect. What do you suggest here instead?

Yeah, that's it... take T-Racks off (and I was running three instances of it) and no problem. I haven't had a plug in do that before, even on my G5. No big deal, now that I know, it wasn't really hammering the CPU (not that can't be dealt with using auxes and good metering of the CPU and such) but I guess is it a latency inducing beast. There you have it. Thanks for the help.