Best method for using logic live?

rsandifer

We are building a show for a band that is heading out on their first tour.

I need some ideas on how to use LOGIC along with the band such as removing the instruments that are on stage and the drummer using a click track.

Is logic my best bet and if so what is the best method?

So far I have created show versions of the song folders and removed all of the tracks that are not needed. The drummer is getting fed a click track that he only hears in his phones mix. I have each project folder separate and it takes a bit of time for each song to load. SHould I just bounce the remaining tracks then put them back into a NEW project with each song back to back with a tempo change for the drummer?

I know people use logic live but I would really like to hear from some people that have used it in this way before.

Thanks in advance.

One way you could go is to use OnStage:

http://fluqe.com/

Outstanding find and I do appreciate it.

SHould I just keep the projects as they are and mute the stage performers parts or export them then bring them back into a new project so my resources are not getting hit with all the effects on each track?

Im using a G5 with 16 gigs of ram 2.8 dual and I get that dreaded resource issue message so I am not sure how our power macs are gonna handle the show.

Thanks David for the help.

and Daft........my mac book has already suffered a FAYGO issue. It was a pain in the but to correct it. That crap must have a ton of sugar in it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, only just seen this... I'm probably too late to be of any use, but I worked for a fairly high-profile touring band last summer and we ran all the live keys in Logic. We used OnStage to select each different project, and it really ran very smoothly. That was with 4 different MIDI controllers all routed into Logic and playing different soft synths.

I would definitely recommend setting up specific live projects, one song per project. That way it will take the minimum amount of time to load and there won't be an issue with long gaps between songs. OnStage is very quick at shutting down a project and opening the next one. The only thing I would worry about, though, is the old problem of Logic hiccupping on the first play - if you find that your computer is ok with loading a project and playing from the start with no overload messages, then you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

So far we tried both methods Onstage was great but the delay time was pretty rough between songs. I might have the projects setup incorrectly since there are a ton of plugins being used. Maybe I should have frozen all of the tracks but anyhow....

We decided to do the Fallout boy method. Use an Ipod and LEFT was the mixed and bounced project and the right was the click track for the drummer. Rehearsals go really fast this way and zero dead space. It is really easy to change sets since they just build a new playlist.

However, I would like to go back to Onstage for other performers but I gotta find a faster load time. We are using a NEW Mac Pro with a 7200 drive so I thought speed would not be much of an issue.

Sorry, only just seen this... I'm probably too late to be of any use, but I worked for a fairly high-profile touring band last summer and we ran all the live keys in Logic. We used OnStage to select each different project, and it really ran very smoothly. That was with 4 different MIDI controllers all routed into Logic and playing different soft synths.

I would definitely recommend setting up specific live projects, one song per project. That way it will take the minimum amount of time to load and there won't be an issue with long gaps between songs. OnStage is very quick at shutting down a project and opening the next one. The only thing I would worry about, though, is the old problem of Logic hiccupping on the first play - if you find that your computer is ok with loading a project and playing from the start with no overload messages, then you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Hey Steve, currently I am using MainStage, but as that needs an obscene amount of memory I am always on the lookout for an alternative, and so came to playing around with OnStage. Contrary to your experiences I am not sure whether this is the way to go though. Maybe you have some answers. At the moment I am only playing around so I have the version running that only activates four slots. In these four slots I have put a random set of our songs ranging from a simple project featuring just one Instrument track using NI's Elektrik Piano to a "difficult" track featuring NI's B4, NI's FM8 and GForce's MiniMonsta answering to a different MIDI channel (it is only used as a little filler solo). The points that have me doubting are as follows:

- when I change patches in OnStage I hear this Apple "error chime", I can't have that on stage;

- sometimes the loading of the patches take over a minute, even if it is just the Elektrik Piano one.

Any idea what is going on? By the way, this is on the following hardware: MOTU828 MkII, MacBook Pro (the latest one with 4 GB RAM and a 320GB@7200rpm HD).

Hope this helps.

Hey Steve, currently I am using MainStage, but as that needs an obscene amount of memory I am always on the lookout for an alternative, and so came to playing around with OnStage. Contrary to your experiences I am not sure whether this is the way to go though. Maybe you have some answers. At the moment I am only playing around so I have the version running that only activates four slots. In these four slots I have put a random set of our songs ranging from a simple project featuring just one Instrument track using NI's Elektrik Piano to a "difficult" track featuring NI's B4, NI's FM8 and GForce's MiniMonsta answering to a different MIDI channel (it is only used as a little filler solo). The points that have me doubting are as follows:

- when I change patches in OnStage I hear this Apple "error chime", I can't have that on stage;

- sometimes the loading of the patches take over a minute, even if it is just the Elektrik Piano one.

Any idea what is going on? By the way, this is on the following hardware: MOTU828 MkII, MacBook Pro (the latest one with 4 GB RAM and a 320GB@7200rpm HD).

Well I guess there are two problems here then. I haven't experienced the error chime problem. My workaround for that would be to select the built-in output for system sounds, and use your audio interface for stuff you actually want to go through the PA!

As far as the slow patch loading goes, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as I've not encountered this with the plug-ins I use. Do they take ages to load regardless of whether you're using OnStage?

Hi Steve.

I'm using logic live on stage for backing tracks and to operate an external lighting controller via a moto 128 express midi interface.

What i've done is bounce all tracks down to stereo files and imported them all sepaterly back into a new logic project to create my playlist. (so on my logic arrange page is all my backing tracks in the correct order they will be performed) Obviously once i've created this logic playlist i can't really change the order of the songs. Then on a separate Midi channel i input midi notes to control the midi lighting controller.

So My question is.... Can i bounce down my backing tracking as a stereo file and import that stereo file back into logic with my midi notes for the lighting controller, save this as a project then use on stage to create my playlist. Will this still operate my external midi device.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Steve.

I'm using logic live on stage for backing tracks and to operate an external lighting controller via a moto 128 express midi interface.

What i've done is bounce all tracks down to stereo files and imported them all sepaterly back into a new logic project to create my playlist. (so on my logic arrange page is all my backing tracks in the correct order they will be performed) Obviously once i've created this logic playlist i can't really change the order of the songs. Then on a separate Midi channel i input midi notes to control the midi lighting controller.

So My question is.... Can i bounce down my backing tracking as a stereo file and import that stereo file back into logic with my midi notes for the lighting controller, save this as a project then use on stage to create my playlist. Will this still operate my external midi device.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Pete

If I understand your question correctly, then the answer is yes. All OnStage does is simplifies the process of closing one Logic project and opening another one, and allows you to use Program Change messages to do this. So Logic is running as normal - you're just using OnStage to switch between projects.

Well I guess there are two problems here then. I haven't experienced the error chime problem. My workaround for that would be to select the built-in output for system sounds, and use your audio interface for stuff you actually want to go through the PA!
That's the same way I have it, and even though a concert is a nopisy affair I don't want a "soft" error-chime sounding. Besides, it is an error, so get rid of the error and you'll get rid of the chime. Think I'll have to ask Fluque to look into it.

As far as the slow patch loading goes, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as I've not encountered this with the plug-ins I use. Do they take ages to load regardless of whether you're using OnStage?
Nope. Just with OnStage, and it also changes. Then it is the simple Rhodes one that makes you get coffee, then it is the "difficult" one with the 3 synths and multiple MIDI channels. Next another one.... Not a thing in common (apart from all being Logic projects of course). I'll ask Fluque about this as well. I just hoped you'd noticed it and had a handy work around. When I open the songs in Logic itself the thing is loaded just as fast as if I were loading a "real song", so there is no difference between keyboard templates and normal projects.

• 2 weeks later...