multipressor redlining?

8EBREAKZER

ok i am trying to produce Drum and Bass music and i am highly confused right now as to why the multipressor is always redlining my channel???.. it doesnt sound distorted yet its redlining??.., now i have chopped up my own sampled breakbeat into ultrabeat i have ultrabeat as a multi output so i can compress and eq each individual drum voice etc... now i am using the multipressor on my kick drum to make it sound better by giving it sum nice punch in the low end of the kik and suppressing the mid and highs of the kik... yet all its doing is redlining the channel its running through in the mixer?.. to stop it redlining i have to turn the channel way down to minus 9..?.. the multipressor i have it set to sounds fantastic and is the way i want my kik drum to sound yet its redlining the main mixer in logic?.. why is this?.. i am trying to learn how to get really punchy drums as loud as possible yet no matter wot i do with a compressor i cant get it to not redline...?? i have used a limiter which works and the channel then doesnt redline but it makes the drums distorted and sound poo which i dont want.. can someone please point me in the direction of a tutorial or explain to me how to master the art of drum production... cheers!

First of all you have to understand what I/O stands for. I is Input and O is Output. Raise your ratio to whatever you would like and compress the crap out of it to where the BLUE line is not peaking. FOR EXAMPLE- I set my ratio at 2.94 and cranked the Compr Thsh to -26.5db, and now there is no peak on the output. Also, lower the final out into the negative db on the multipressor and after your project is done put a gain on your project. I hope that helps if not write back

First of all you have to understand what I/O stands for. I is Input and O is Output. Raise your ratio to whatever you would like and compress the crap out of it to where the BLUE line is not peaking. FOR EXAMPLE- I set my ratio at 2.94 and cranked the Compr Thsh to -26.5db, and now there is no peak on the output. Also, lower the final out into the negative db on the multipressor and after your project is done put a gain on your project. I hope that helps if not write back

thanx for that i understand better after a few hours of playing around aswell.. i also figured out that a limiter has to be last in your plugins after u have compressed and eq'ed etc so i am slowly getting my drums phat as.. cheers!.

which compresser are you using as i have tryed your technique with the multipressor and it makes the output even louder!..???.. i have been spending hours trying to figure out how to get compression going well for me to stop my drums redlining in the mixers channel and i cant!.. its mainly always redlining at +6 ?... the only way to get my drums from not redlining is using the adaptive limiter.. but as i've sed it distorts the sound.. i have tryed compressing at 4:1 29:1 etc and its still redlining??.. the only way i can get my drums to not peak in any way is to use the multipresser with the compr Thrsh at 10.0db ratio at 2.955 and have the gain make-up at -1.0db.. and bring the mixer channel down to -1.1 so its got sum headroom???.. this is just getting really silly and annoyng the hell out of me!.. lol.. how much headroom should i have in the channel aswell please.. help!!!.

Just turn down the output gain!

yes i have done that too cheers for the help?.. look turning down the output does not answer my questions.. i would like punchy loud as possible drums.. drums that are quiet as in the channel because i have had to turn it down to -10 because of certain frequencies peaking doesnt not help me... as i have sed the adaptive limiter helps by making it nice and loud again so i can have the fader up at 0dB.. but it does slightly distort the drum.. a little bit more constructive explanation of how one personally compresses and processes their drums would be muchly appreciated..

The output will peak (red) if your output is too loud. So lower the output to avoid this. No way around this, although you can slap on a brickwall limiter at the end of the chain - but this will usually reduce punch and clarity.

What you need to learn is how to set a compressor (and limiter perhaps) to get the most bang for the buck. This is a huge subject to explain and still requires a lot of practice and experimentation on your part.

In most cases it's the transient (the very first loud peak) of the drum that causes the overloading. Also the very low sub frequencies play a part as they contain lots of energy but the human ear isn't very sensitive to those.

You also need to look into gain staging, i.e. how the input/output thru the plug-ins and channel works. Once you understand this you will be able to detect exactly where and why you are having problems with overloading.

Getting punchy and loud drums is actually a bit of a contradiction. Loud usually means less punchy actually. So you need to find a balance. My primary advice would be: select the right sample to begin with. In many cases it is possible to find a drum sound that requires no or very little processing to sound good.

Here are some things you should look into: how to compress in general, how to compress drums specifically, and how to sum-compress. Since you're doing DnB I would also look into sidechain compression (bass and kick).

The output will peak (red) if your output is too loud. So lower the output to avoid this. No way around this, although you can slap on a brickwall limiter at the end of the chain - but this will usually reduce punch and clarity.

What you need to learn is how to set a compressor (and limiter perhaps) to get the most bang for the buck. This is a huge subject to explain and still requires a lot of practice and experimentation on your part.

In most cases it's the transient (the very first loud peak) of the drum that causes the overloading. Also the very low sub frequencies play a part as they contain lots of energy but the human ear isn't very sensitive to those.

You also need to look into gain staging, i.e. how the input/output thru the plug-ins and channel works. Once you understand this you will be able to detect exactly where and why you are having problems with overloading.

Getting punchy and loud drums is actually a bit of a contradiction. Loud usually means less punchy actually. So you need to find a balance. My primary advice would be: select the right sample to begin with. In many cases it is possible to find a drum sound that requires no or very little processing to sound good.

Here are some things you should look into: how to compress in general, how to compress drums specifically, and how to sum-compress. Since you're doing DnB I would also look into sidechain compression (bass and kick).

thankyou for that!.. i am using ultrabeat for my drum samples so maybe ultrabeats out put is to loud..?.. i am sampling drums from the funk 1960s and 70s era and have eq'ed and removed noise etc from them.., i have eq'ed out everything below 90hz for my kiks and snares are low cut at 190hz.. i have always done the faders up gain down principle but my brain right now just cant figure out why i have to have the fader down? so much and my drums are so quiet while the compressor pulls bak frequencies so much?, so in order to have everything else like my synths basslines etc they have to be pulled down aswell making the hole tune quite quiet in order to get the drums in yer face.. i would really like to know how on earth they get the drums so loud and dynamic in DnB!???.. anyone out there making DnB successfully!??? help!.