Help Creating a Feedback Effect

Yeah, talk about destructive processing!! :lol:

Have you tried routing the signal to an aux, and sending that aux onto the same bus? As in: on the guitar track, send to Bus 1. On Aux 1, verify that Bus 1 is the input source. Then send from that Aux 1 to Bus 1 again. You're creating virtual feedback on that Aux. Adjust the send (automate it if needed) to adjust the amount of feedback.

I've got two different ways of doing this with plug-ins.

First off, there's Ohmicide by Ohmforce, it's ridiculous and comes with a bunch of kickass sounding feedback algorithms that just sound amazing.

There's also using the tape delay, adjust the feedback slider radically and you'll get a really good sounding thin, squealy feedback, but watch your ears..

The Aux trick is great when using delays to repeat the repeating repeated.

Would using a superfast delay be better in allowing you to adjust the pitch better?

"better" is in the eye of the beholder, but give it a try, you'll get interesting results for sure. I love the really fast delay, lots of feedback (as much as possible), and then slowing down the delay while the audio is being processed.

is the 'Feedback' control sometimes called the 'Repeat' control?

Either way- when setting feedback to 50%, it will just come in and stay at that volume forever, right? anything above 50% will dictate the speed at which it increases in volume, and anything below 50% will dictate how slowly it fades away...

I'd like to create something that has some sort of release (I dont want it to just go on forever). Can I control this by decreasing the level of the send in your suggested routing?

I've had good luck with ebows for studio use. I find that they are not very practical for what I need them to do live. I'm fairly sure that you could get one for under $100 US ...

I've heard lots of good reviews for feedbacking pickups such as the fernandes sustainer, and the 'sustainiac' ... but those of course require that you swap out the neck pickup of your guitar and add a knob and a switch. I believe that both of these are in the $150 range.

The Boss GT-6,8, and 10 all have a 'feedbacker' effect built into them ... I've had some success with them (I haven't tried the 10,yet ... not sure if they adjusted that effect on it or not), but not enough that I would recommend dropping the cash for one, unless you were already interested in getting something like that. It maybe worth a shot if someone you know has one already.