Live performance using Logic 8

Rob Fawcett

I'm switching from Logic Platinum 5.5.1 on a PC to a MacBook Pro. I have always used Logic Pro for live performance, playing an audio backing track and sending control messages to various devices, e.g. effects, harmoniser, guitar patch changes.

The way I select songs is placing up to 20 in a single file - I think now called a project - then using markers to select the individual songs quickly. However, playing covers requires me to have up to five files open simultaneously, which means a delay in moving between them.

Is there a better way of accessing individual songs quickly? Also, what is the limit in terms of what a 4Gb MacBook Pro memory will hold for a single project?

Thanks.

all your backing tracks could be bounced down and then played from itunes/quicktime. you can assign controllers in mainstage to trigger songs in itunes (theres a thread on it somewhere)

This will also give you much more stability. logic is more likely to crash than itunes.

your control changes and whatnot could be programmed to buttons in mainstage which you could control with midi hardware.

hardware is fun :D

just a thought. you do lose some of the advantages of logic though, ie automated patch changes and whatnot.