Cant use mainstage as a AU Host on slave mac?!

JT3_Jon

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get Spectrasonics Omnisphere running on a PPC G5 Slave like I do Kontakt, but had the sudden realization that unlike Kontakt, Omnisphere does not have a "stand alone app" and requires a host. At first I thought I could just use Logics Main Stage, but apparently apple does not allow any part of Logic Studio to run on multiple computers at once. BUMMER! I really cant believe Logic would prevent this type of behavior! This seems like a really bad policy, as I'm one user looking to use the tools I bought in conjunction with each other! If anything, allowing Logic to have an AU host would promote more mac slave sales!

So, any ideas on a cheep way to do this?

Sorry for the rant, and thanks in advance for your help!

I'll admit its a bit strange that separate parts of Logic Studio cannot be opened on two computers on the same network, nonetheless this is what we deal with. I've been in the same situation, wanting to use Mainstage as a slave to sequenced material in Logic.

Fortuneately, however, by turning off airport and removing any netowork connections on one of the computers, you can open the software. What I've done in the past is (on my laptop) turn off airport (which I do when I run mainstage anyway), start up Logic on my iMac, start up Mainstage on my MacBook, and transmit the necesary midi data from my interface on the iMac to my interface on the Macbook.

The only down side to this is that you can't simply feed the midi data over the network. Other then that it should work fine!